Square 1/Moswin/StlRegion etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimberson

Premium Subscriber
In my continuing quest to see how humbling/frustrating programming the 396xt via freescan, a similar issues come up, with similar null results.

This pertains to STL regional, moswin and Amer-p25.

1. I'm under the assumption these should be programmed as MOT II systems but I know I'm wrong!

2. designation: APCO convention/standard (not exclusive) if I understand correctly, means a mixed(?) conventional+digital *trunked* system?

3. P25 exclusive=all digital, should be setup as MOT II system?

4. I'm more than confused when it comes to programming simucast/rebanded 700hz etc. groups in the confusing system known as stl regional.

5. In freescan, when importing what I (think) is a mot II, many of groups, channels are listed as standard p25. Something odd here.

6. As so many have said, in trunked systems, I have full bars and no sound, or I hear the IC/Vocoder boarding. Search is on.

7. Still unclear, when appropriate to use NAC search (analogue trunked?) and c/d.

8. Sorry for all these questions, I've read the wikis and am very frustrated!

Lastly- any freescan file I've used (not mine) the actual "p25" indicator shows up. Something I've yet to make happen on my own! The closest I've come: I have definitely picked up digital, wacn/uid, that digital sound, but no "p25" indicator shows up on the 396xt.

I'm trying my best to avoid giving up and getting a 436 for its "pre" programmed functionality, but this is having deleterious effects upon my ego!

-thanks

teufler

Freescan file

don't feel like the lone ranger as most if not everyone has had troubles programming and understanding. Most of st Louis stuff, Highway patrol is Moto type II type II p25. For me its like this, if all the frequencies are 800 or higher, they get moto type II p25. if they are all 700 , they get p25 standard digital xt. They apco 25 band plan, forget it, 396xt doesn't need it.now rebanded systems, get uniden rebanding. 851.025 854.000 25 440, 851.0125 868.9876 25 0 is what you input to the tables. you make the system, as moto type II p25, then the site as custom reband.This attached file has these settings and the mo command post ib Ferguson.,

Attachments

• BCD396XT 8-13-2014.zip
    24.9 KB · Views: 82

Kimberson

Premium Subscriber
thanks, it's less ferguson, now that sometime has passed, there's enough decent reporting on twitter (like many who grew up here, I'm at a loss for words...monks from Tibet traveling here? different subject). I was a bit frightened, when an ice cream shop was robbed while I was across the street. A passing anxiety.

Good thing you mentioned the band plan, errors a-plenty "No band plan!". Thanks for making things clear and concise. Maybe you should write "the easier than easier Manual to"...lol.

thanks much.

teufler

no the easier manual is well written. Several administrators have gave me hints over about the last year, as I got my 396xt about 1 year ago. Alot is from trial and error, reading, and asking questions. I try to help out, just cutting to the chase so to speak. I see you got an Austin Spectra antenna. I had one for 15 years, still going strong and the best I ever had. Been scanning and monitoring since 1971, and had several antennas that just rusted, fell apart, or failed. I have the Austin Condor also.St. Louis County Police Scanner on USTREAM: This is an audio stream of the St. Louis County Police scanners. Ferguson PD RIOT-A RIOT-B RIOT-C RIOT-D RIOT-E...
the above covers the Ferguson command area good.

Kimberson

Premium Subscriber
I'm at a loss for words regarding this "brand new" scanner which appeared out of the ether after loading your file. It's a different beast! I can't wait to go driving around.

Ah, the spectra, big problems for me and one of the great mysteries which has had deleterious effect upon my scanning "IQ". Long story short- ordered it, 1st MM was missing the connections/wires in the base. Worked with it for a while, finally brought it to my friend (solder master), no luck. 2nd replacement MM, things seemed fine- but the antenna, which I (still) can't figure out, vastly underperforms: radio shack duck, 14.99$ 2m and a 15$ 2m/70cm. I've had it for a year, and sadly, after spending so much time with it, it just hangs out in the corner.

Any suggestions?
Anyone want a spectra?

It was a big disappointment and stymied my scanner-learning, for half a year, no reception...then (ouch) a 15$ mini whip out did it.

I still have my suspicions of it being a lemon- I've heard only great things about it.

teufler

From the file I sent, you need to print a quick key assignment , go to the printer icon, and click it. check the block for quick key summary and uncheck the next two blocks. Then click show printdialog, see that your printer is selected, then print ok. Now there may be stuff that you want and stuff that you don't want. On my file, select a system that you want to keep, click edit copy. Then go to File, new, you get to a black listing, click edit pasts and the file has been copied over. now file save as and select a name that you want. now open the previous file or master file or the file I sent and select another system that you swant. Continue until you have copied all the systems that are important to you.

Kimberson

Premium Subscriber
Hi teufler, this is probably appropriate for a dm but I can't figure out how to do so with the tapa app. It's of general interest I figure, topic isn't "personal"- anyone else's opinion would be appreciated.

Simple ?: I have procured the funds (enough) to purchase a 436 model, noticing many channels are x2/phase 2 at this point do you think it's a good investment re: mo area? I want to get a transceiver (and license) which is, of course a whole different bag of beans, I feel I can pass the technician test in the present-time...I'm having difficulty deciding which "direction" (terrible pun) I should go in-

I wish to become involved in the community, not just a passive "scanner-type". I realize going "ham" is much more of an investment, but it does seem worth it.

In your opinion (and others) what do you think? Save up more for a decent ham set-up (1500$), or get the 436 and the data I "might?" be missing?

thanks again everyone

teufler

only have tdma on the south county sites , I copy the city and the coiunty really is not on their system much. More analog still and most seem happy with what they have. The 396xt works, copies the state moswin, so if you travel, you are covered. Some have been happy with a 436 while others are very frustrated. I would go for a nice dual band vhf/uhf radio that has extended coverage meaning it copies outside the ham bands, like a scanner. I use a kenwood d700, the channels are grouped into segmets of twenty, so I can scan 20 channelsd or I czan scan my memory limit. Most of the time a 20 channel scan is about right to be able to mentally keep track of whats going on. There are many dual band mobiles that would cost about $450 to $550, with the antenna. Since you will spend far more time in the car than at home, a dual band vhf/uhf makes sense. You can get some radios that are vhf/uhf/ and low bands. That will cost you close to the $1500 you were thinking about. Thats alot of eggs in one basket, the mobile antenna is alittle bigger and morte complex. Band openings do occur but hf mobile is alot of CQ, CQ and listening. I am holding off on a new scanner now, as I think a scanner will show up that is nxdn, dmr, and of course tdma type 2, so what we have now is fine. There are parts of the county that have to have the latest and greatest, we do not. I would get a ham rig, you will havbe far more enjoyment that getting tdma, for south county.

Kimberson

Premium Subscriber
thanks, good advice. I'll check out the ken wood and other 2b radios...paying 500$ for a few s-county TDMA systems does look like a big waste of $$$.

Too bad it's not like camera lenses (radios) where you can rent them before plunking down an arm/leg!

teufler

I was re-reading your post on the Spectre antenna. What about the coax? Hae you got something else you can mount it on. Woth a motorola mount, there are mag mounts that can be pressed into service . There is just not much that can go wrong with one. If you havn't got a ham license yet, I know several classes that you can get into. Classes are the easiest but getting a tech license, you can read the book in a weekend and test a few days later. Much of the testing is common sense stuff. Rules and regs are pretty easy, .

Status
Not open for further replies.