SDS100/SDS200: Squelch/Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter2

Good Morning, I've discussed this topic before, but haven't found any more info or reasoning. My SDS100 is working fine, no issues. However, the same Squelch sensitivity is happening again. I have to lower squelch to 1 to monitor as normal, if I raise the squelch, transmissions do not pick up and constantly flicker on the display. I may be having some type of overbearing frequency or interference again somewhere.

Also, I purchased a Remtronix antenna and it appears to be bent or slanted when tightened on the device. As I turned left to tighten it it like shifts as it goes down. Is this common? Is there another antenna that's better for 800Mhz Digital P25 Systems?

Thank you for your time.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Remember “Lefty loosey Righty tightly”. You wrote tightening while you were turning left.

as for the bent antenna, make sure you haven’t cross threaded it.

Dexter2

Remember “Lefty loosey Righty tightly”. You wrote tightening while you were turning left.

as for the bent antenna, make sure you haven’t cross threaded it.

Yeah sorry, I typed it wrong. How do you check for "cross-thread?"

Ubbe

I may be having some type of overbearing frequency or interference again somewhere.
Program that frequency or frequencies as analog only in the quick save system. Listen to the frequencies and apply different filter settings to them to try and make the squelch work normal, close at 2 and open at 1. Don't forget to also try the IFX setting. Also try without antenna to check that there's nothing wrong with the scanner.

/Ubbe

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Yeah sorry, I typed it wrong. How do you check for "cross-thread?"
Cross threading is most unlikely. But if you did the antenna wouldn’t screw on easily using just your fingers. You can always put the stock antenna on and see if it screws on easily. If it does then you are ok.

Dexter2

Program that frequency or frequencies as analog only in the quick save system. Listen to the frequencies and apply different filter settings to them to try and make the squelch work normal, close at 2 and open at 1. Don't forget to also try the IFX setting. Also try without antenna to check that there's nothing wrong with the scanner.

/Ubbe

What am I looking for when the antenna is off?

Dexter2

Cross threading is most unlikely. But if you did the antenna wouldn’t screw on easily using just your fingers. You can always put the stock antenna on and see if it screws on easily. If it does then you are ok.

Both antennas, the one is came with and the Remtronix both fit and seem to work okay. However, the Rem. looks crooked when I look at the radio from the side.

wtp

i cross-threaded my 396T with a new adaptor to the point where it just pulls off/drops on.
my new quick-release antenna still works.
i have a radio shack 800 antenna on a 396XT that is bent a little and receives fine.
don't go for looks, it is how things perform.

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
Both antennas, the one is came with and the Remtronix both fit and seem to work okay. However, the Rem. looks crooked when I look at the radio from the side.
I have the Remtronix 810S on my SDS100, and the scanner when its sitting on its base isn't level, which makes the Remtronix antenna looks like its bent when viewed from the side. As long as the antenna is screwed downe enough that the O-ring is reasonably below or flush with the weatherseal trim on the radio, it's OK. The antenna is flexible for a reason, and over time it's going to take an angle to it.

Dexter2

I have the Remtronix 810S on my SDS100, and the scanner when its sitting on its base isn't level, which makes the Remtronix antenna looks like its bent when viewed from the side. As long as the antenna is screwed downe enough that the O-ring is reasonably below or flush with the weatherseal trim on the radio, it's OK. The antenna is flexible for a reason, and over time it's going to take an angle to it.

It's just about a year for me. I even tried pushing the antenna back to straighten it and it doesn't really work and obviously I don't want to break it.

wtp

squelch definition,
a circuit that suppresses the output of a radio receiver if the signal strength falls below a certain level.
to add more squelch means to make it quieter.
it will take a stronger signal to 'break' the squelch.
also closed would mean quiet, and open squelch would be the "shhh" sound.

Last edited:

Dexter2

squelch definition,
a circuit that suppresses the output of a radio receiver if the signal strength falls below a certain level.
to add more squelch means to make it quieter.
it will take a stronger signal to 'break' the squelch.
also closed would mean quiet, and open squelch would be the "shhh" sound.

i don't know if this is related, but i do know I have no issues receiving transmissions between 8pm and 6am during the week. I don't know if there is something outside near me interfering or what.

Status
Not open for further replies.