Squelch - Break It Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEvil

though I've been scanning for two years now and enjoying every moment of it I still don't really feel 100% competent when it comes to understanding squelch. It's my basic understanding that it's a sensitivity for when the scanner basically "opens" and "closes" based on what its listening to but I can't seem to find an idiots/newbie guide to setting it properly. Though I'm using 996XTs I figured I'd start this thread for all new users to understand the quickest and easiest way to set their squelch level for the best receiving and enjoy clear scanning after that.

The "turn the knob till it makes noise, then go one click back" seems cool but on my scanners thats only at squelch level 3(of like 19) which seems odd..... figure some of you experts can weight in and just give us a quick breakdown of what to do.

Thanks,

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Squelch

Squelch literally means "quiet". The noise from radios when there is no signal is annoying, to say the least. So a squelch circuit is included to mute the audio when there is no signal. How well these circuits operate vary from model to model and, in some cases, how your receiver is programmed.

You described the correct way to set the squelch. Go to a channel, turn the knob all the way in one direction so you are hearing noise. Turn the knob until the noise stops. You might have to readjust on a different frequency because the noise level varies on each frequency.

If you have programmed channels to use CT or DC tones, you'll need to override that to set the squelch. I just go to a channel which I've not programmed these tones to set it.

If all you listen to is trunked systems, you won't even need to set the squelch. On my scanners which are only receiving trunked, I have the squelch set fully counter clockwise. On a conventional channel I'd be hearing noise. The receiver will unmute the audio when it switches to a voice channel.

BigEvil

thanks so much gmclam

I'm monitoring LAPD which is Digital but non-trunking so I'll mess with the squelch(though it stays around 3-4 because I guess thats the optimum setting) I just get nervous that me setting it so low was incorrect.

Anyone else have feedback!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
thanks so much gmclam

I'm monitoring LAPD which is Digital but non-trunking so I'll mess with the squelch(though it stays around 3-4 because I guess thats the optimum setting) I just get nervous that me setting it so low was incorrect.

Anyone else have feedback!

When monitoring digital, the squelch control does nothing.

rmiller818

When monitoring digital, the squelch control does nothing.

I have heard that before but I am not convinced. It is not like with a basic frequency but I notice a difference in my scanner's ability to receive the digital trunk system I am monitoring by adjusting the squelch.

Status
Not open for further replies.