BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Squelch Issue / Pulling My Hair Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

Having an issue with my 436HP.

Using Unitrunker, I am trying to monitor the ICIS Pasadena site (Interagency Communications Interoperability System (ICIS): Project 25 Trunking System, Los Angeles County, California - Scanner Frequencies).

Unfortunately, even with the squelch rotated to 0, the squelch will STILL not open up, not allowing the audio from the control channel to come through.

Interestingly, I am not having this issue with their older Type II system in Montebello (Interagency Communications Interoperability System (ICIS) Trunking System, Various, California - Scanner Frequencies).

This is sort of indicating to me that perhaps the issue is related to one channel being a FDMA site, versus the other being a Type II site? I'm not really sure! But I've been pulling my hair out trying different things to get the squelch to open up and allow the Phase I system to be monitored.

Anyone have an idea as to what it is I'm doing wrong?

Thanks so much!!

Paul

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
When monitoring a trunked system, squelch will not open unless there is a channel grant for a channel (TGID) you have programmed the scanner to monitor (or on any channel if you are in ID Search mode). It will never open on the control channel.

If you want to hear the control channel noise for some reason, you need to program the frequency into a conventional channel or do a direct frequency entry.

When monitoring a trunked system, squelch will not open unless there is a channel grant for a channel (TGID) you have programmed the scanner to monitor (or on any channel if you are in ID Search mode). It will never open on the control channel.

If you want to hear the control channel noise for some reason, you need to program the frequency into a conventional channel or do a direct frequency entry.

Thanks so much. Unfortunately, neither of those methods work either. Squelch is still set to 0, and no audio at all.

I've also tried monitoring the entire system programmed into the radio, and no joy. I'm completely confused as to why this won't work.

Thanks.

marksmith

Thanks so much. Unfortunately, neither of those methods work either. Squelch is still set to 0, and no audio at all.
If you can't hear the system when normally programmed as a trunked system, and can't hear digital noise when the control channel is programmed conventionally, you are out of range from that system by my guess.

I have had unitrunker follow systems that are out of range for normal monitoring, but never with a scanner. Only with a $20 sdr dongle and external antennas

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

Status
Not open for further replies.