Squelch tails after V2 firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

cellphone

Member
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 28, 2002
Messages
1,528
Location
Ahwatukee, AZ (Phoenix)
Everyone is talking so much about P25 decoding after the V2 firmware update, but I am noticing an issue related to conventional analog frequencies. On frequencies where I have a DCS or CTCSS tone programmed, I am now noticing a squech trail at the end of most transmissions. Prior to the firmware update, the squelch tails were not heard because the radio would cut the audio before the squelch tail when it detected the sub-audible tone dropped.

I have verified that squelch tones are programmed correctly on the affected frequencies.

Has anyone else noticed a change in squelch tails on frequencies programmed with sub-audible tones?

Cheers,

Joe Badura
 

Dave520

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
288
Location
Connecticut
Check your squelch setting, that may have gotten changed during the update.

Just a thought!

Dave
 

Viper43

Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Messages
3,307
I did but reloading the programming seemed to have helped. although one other said that didn't do it for them.
 

cellphone

Member
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 28, 2002
Messages
1,528
Location
Ahwatukee, AZ (Phoenix)
-I reloaded all systems.
-I verified my squelch settings. In the past I have set the squelch to 4, but I also tried moving it up to 6.
-I verified the CTCSS settings on the affected frequencies.

I am still having an issue with a squelch “cer-chuck” at the end of transmissions on frequencies configured for CTCSS tone squelch. This is not a major issue, but is just something annoying that I noticed post-V2 firmware.

--Joe
 

n4yek

Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2004
Messages
2,479
Location
Newport, Tennessee
cellphone said:
-I reloaded all systems.
-I verified my squelch settings. In the past I have set the squelch to 4, but I also tried moving it up to 6.
-I verified the CTCSS settings on the affected frequencies.

I am still having an issue with a squelch “cer-chuck” at the end of transmissions on frequencies configured for CTCSS tone squelch. This is not a major issue, but is just something annoying that I noticed post-V2 firmware.

--Joe
Joe,
On top of what you have done I have also tried setting the 'hold' and 'delay' times differently with no improvement. Like you, it isn't something that is a major concern to me since it is used to keep unwanted communications from being heard from same frequency users in other towns, but it was nice to not hear the squelch tail. In fact this was the first radio I ever had that actually dropped the audio out before the carrier dropped, I liked that.
Maybe Paul can give some insight, but it could be a while since the major issue at the moment is P25 systems. I am still trying different settings and if I find anything I will let you know.
 

Viper43

Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Messages
3,307
I just sent Upman an email for something to try, he'll probably get in touch with you two on this :)
 

Statevillian

Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2006
Messages
252
Location
Chicago, IL.
See my post #199 in post upgrade thread

cellphone said:
Everyone is talking so much about P25 decoding after the V2 firmware update, but I am noticing an issue related to conventional analog frequencies. On frequencies where I have a DCS or CTCSS tone programmed, I am now noticing a squech trail at the end of most transmissions. Prior to the firmware update, the squelch tails were not heard because the radio would cut the audio before the squelch tail when it detected the sub-audible tone dropped.

I have verified that squelch tones are programmed correctly on the affected frequencies.

Has anyone else noticed a change in squelch tails on frequencies programmed with sub-audible tones?

Cheers,

Joe Badura
Yes, I did. And, I reported it in the post release thread...no one responded or cared. I also posted it in other groups and no one seemed to have the issue because no one responded at all...Here's the thread link:
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102635&page=10

There was no resetting of anything believe it or not, after I had done the upgrade. Squelch setting was still at 2. I had to set squelch to 6 to make it perform at the same great standard of my Uniden 330....which both did before the upgrade. Here is the interesting part....It only does it on Chicago Police UHF conventional frequencies in the 460.xxx range with pl when I am in that particular district or zone. If I am on the northside of Chicago and set a southside zone to squelch of 2 it is great. But, leave it at 2 and listen to the zone I am in at that exact moment and that hissing squelch tail is back again. I am baffled. And I know some people who offer lame suggestions and they don't even own these scanners and offered the "Just turn on your attenuator" solution. WHY SHOULD I?! I paid over 500 dollars for something that performed well before the upgrade and the 330 still performs exceptionally at squelch setting of 2 with no squelch tail. And now I should attenuate?...get real.

One guy who I'd love to front off/or 'out' here from a Chicago suburb suggested I just use my 330 for listeing to CPD UHF analog and use my 396 for digital....Why thank you for helping me figure out how I should use my equipment instead of seeing how many others it affects so Uniden knows, and Uniden can correct it!!!!!!

I am glad to see it is not me and that others have this issue too...but I am sorry we are experiencing this.
 

Viper43

Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Messages
3,307
Did you try attenuation by chance while in in a zone and see what that did? Just curious as you'd normally use the attenuation, not squelch in a strong signal area, and it sounds as if the squelch tail may have to do with a fairly strong signal. The channels I had it on were fairly strong to start with but I never did try setting the attenuation on those frequencies...it's worth a try, and you'll miss fewer weaker signals than you would having the squelch up so high.
 

Statevillian

Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2006
Messages
252
Location
Chicago, IL.
Me pulling my hair out!

Viper43 said:
Did you try attenuation by chance while in in a zone and see what that did? Just curious as you'd normally use the attenuation, not squelch in a strong signal area, and it sounds as if the squelch tail may have to do with a fairly strong signal. The channels I had it on were fairly strong to start with but I never did try setting the attenuation on those frequencies...it's worth a try, and you'll miss fewer weaker signals than you would having the squelch up so high.
I didn't try the attenuator. I did what a lot of people were saying to do AFTER their upgrades to see if their settings had somehow changed during that process. Pre-upgrade I NEVER needed to use the attenuator. EVER. Even in an RF rich area like by Midway or O Hare Airports.... The 330 didn't and still doesn't need attenuation. The 396 didn't either. I learned by using my GRE500 that different settings have different effects...so, I decided since it sounded like too much squelch, to play with the settings. So, therefore, I played with settings until 6 made it stop. So, I do the upgrade and it is really a placebo effect in the Chicago area. No improvements that have scientific or measureable improvements. Several people report it has, but it hasn't. I am not sure what they are hearing. But, there are no improvements. It is unfair to peg P25 on the Uniden scanner when I really believe the actual system needs some work. The squelch tail came post upgrade and I don't feel I need to attenuate the Zone I live in when I never had to do that before. It's a negative, not a plus. I upgrade to a firmware that has no improvements but I have a lengthy squelch tail that I either set the squelch to 6 or higher for, or use attenuate. That is just crazy.
Sure, I downloaded a new firmware JUST so I could have an extra step of attenuating a district/Zone I happen to be in at the time where the signal strength is obviously greater in. It is an issue and maybe, just maybe, Uniden will fix it. Maybe they were trying to increase sensitivity....which is great. I like that idea. But, this is a by-product of something from the upgrade. But what?.....

I didn't see anywhere in the upgrade features that the upgrade would "Improve your ability to acquire a lengthy squelch tail and benefit from the standard attenuator feature!" So, I appreciate your suggestion Viper but, I shouldn't have to resort to that when it wasn't there before and the same frequency on the 330 never had it and doesn't at this time. I am not getting on YOUR case. I am just frustrated with work-a-rounds to issues that Uniden may be working....or should be working on at this time. I reported it in the post release thread but no one seemed to care. I will try the ATT tonight when I get home...thanks for the tip. That may help. But, it would be nice if I could go back to the previous firmware. The placebo didn't do much for my 396.
 

Statevillian

Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2006
Messages
252
Location
Chicago, IL.
I tried it all..........

cellphone said:
-I reloaded all systems.
-I verified my squelch settings. In the past I have set the squelch to 4, but I also tried moving it up to 6.
-I verified the CTCSS settings on the affected frequencies.

I am still having an issue with a squelch “cer-chuck” at the end of transmissions on frequencies configured for CTCSS tone squelch. This is not a major issue, but is just something annoying that I noticed post-V2 firmware.

--Joe
OK, I tried the Viper suggested ATT. All that did was cause that all too famous sound of a distant channel with static in the middle like it was going to lose the signal and is not even a temp fix. Within 3 miles of a repeater I got the squelch tail not only on the dispatcher end but the radios in the field. Squelch setting of 6 didn't really matter. I came home and reloaded everything. No improvement at all. I even tried playing with the P25 settings thinking maybe, just maybe something might happen...nothing. Well, at least now I know I am not the only one. I will join that Uniden static yahoo board and see what the engineers can do from there. My GRE300 arrived from Scannermaster today so now I will turn my attention to that baby brother of my GRE500 for the night. Kudos to Rich for great service in MA!!!!!!!!!!

Keeping my fingers crossed in Chi-Town!!!!!!!!!!
 

n4yek

Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2004
Messages
2,479
Location
Newport, Tennessee
Cellphone Joe,
There is another thing I noticed with my scanner, check your to see if it is the same.
I noticed that on the Knoxville TN TRS system, the scanner is waiting for the carrier to drop before it resumes scanning. I have the 'End Code' set in the ON configuration but it still is waiting for the carrier drop and not resuming after the transmission ends. See if your is doing the same for your area. This is baffling to me.
I believe I am going to try and re-apply the update to see if that fixes anything.

Update: Re-apllied firmware update, still no change. Squelch tail still there. :(
 
Last edited:

cellphone

Member
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 28, 2002
Messages
1,528
Location
Ahwatukee, AZ (Phoenix)
Hi Danny,

I am only experiencing the issue with conventional frequencies. I have tried to duplicate your issue on trunked systems without success. The only time I get a squelch tail on a trunked system is when I configure the “Set End Code” to Ignore.

How often do you get a squelch tail on a trunked transmission?

Regards,

Joe
 

n4yek

Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2004
Messages
2,479
Location
Newport, Tennessee
cellphone said:
Hi Danny,

I am only experiencing the issue with conventional frequencies. I have tried to duplicate your issue on trunked systems without success. The only time I get a squelch tail on a trunked system is when I configure the “Set End Code” to Ignore.

How often do you get a squelch tail on a trunked transmission?

Regards,

Joe
Everytime on the trunk transmissions. Thanks anyhow.
 

squirrel

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 4, 2006
Messages
103
I too am getting a squelch tail on a analog trunked system. After the transmission i get 5-10 seconds of static. Never had this before the latest FW update.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top