Sr. Citizen Question On Which Unit To Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

I imagine that most of you folks went thru the "agony" of trying to decide between the
Uniden Home Patrol and the GRE PSR 800, and since this a Uniden Forum, you settled on the Home Patrol.

I am also trying to decide.

Would be most appreciative for thoughts and opinions on the two units.

What decided you ?
Pros and cons ?
Reliability, construction, etc. ?

Would be for my house; no auto use.
Am in my 70's now, so ease of programming, and use, are very important to me.

Have a GRE 500 which I like, but programming the unit is beyond my capability now.
Enjoy scanner listening very much, and am thinking that perhaps one of these two units
mentioned above would be a smart move for me.

Much thanks,
Bob

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I imagine that most of you folks went thru the "agony" of trying to decide between the
Uniden Home Patrol and the GRE PSR 800, and since this a Uniden Forum, you settled on the Home Patrol.

I am also trying to decide.

Would be most appreciative for thoughts and opinions on the two units.

What decided you ?
Pros and cons ?
Reliability, construction, etc. ?

Would be for my house; no auto use.
Am in my 70's now, so ease of programming, and use, are very important to me.

Have a GRE 500 which I like, but programming the unit is beyond my capability now.
Enjoy scanner listening very much, and am thinking that perhaps one of these two units
mentioned above would be a smart move for me.

Much thanks,
Bob

Hi Bob,

You shouldn't need to "agonize" over such a purchase, it's only a hobby! LOL

Just a thought here, since you already have the GRE PSR500.

If you were to become a premium member here for $30/year, and purchase one of the software programming packages for the PSR500, you would be able to program the scanner very easily.

Here is a description of how it works.

Web Service Programming Help - The RadioReference Wiki

A bit of over simplifing here, but just check off what you want to listen to, download it into the software, and then uplaod it to the scanner.

Might be a whole lot cheaper than buying a new scanner.

I am also in the Boston area and I have the PSR500 as well as the Home Patrol.

What in this area are you interested in listening to?

t_shuffle

While I have no experience with GRE, I have to say that the HomePatrol is absolutely amazing in it's ease of programming. It's so easy that it almost feels like cheating.

rwier

....................Would be for my house; no auto use..................Have a GRE 500 ..................... but programming the unit is beyond my capability now...........................Bob

Hi Bob,

A lot depends on the radio systems that are active in your area.

Assuming:

1) That you want to listen to Systems/channels/frequencies that the 500 can handle,
2) and are going to be, more or less, stationary while listening,

I would suggest making the 500 your radio of choice. If you have Software for the 500,

Win500, ARC500, or PSREdit (to assist getting programming into the radio),

and any necessary cables, some here on RR (and maybe someone from your local neighborhood) will gladly put together a group of ScanLists, and attach the same to the Forum posts here, for your use. In fact, if you already have the Software (one of the above) and the proper cable, I would be ready to begin today. I would only need to know:

Your listening/scanning location (within 2 miles) and a general list of what you would like to listen to.

Thanks,
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.