SRFECC: 800-series medic units?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
I've recently started hearing medic units in the 800-series being dispatched by Sacramento Regional Fire Dispatch. The ones I've heard seem to have been operating in Metro Fire's jurisdiction. My question is: are these AMR units or are they renumbered Metro Fire peak-hour units?

Last edited:

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
I've recently started hearing medic units in the 800-series being dispatched by Sacramento Regional Fire Dispatch. The ones I've heard seem to have been operating in Metro Fire's jurisdiction. My question is: are these AMR units or are they renumbered Metro Fire peak-hour units?
They are the former AMR units you've heard. They've been renumbered and have been given the Medic unit identifier instead of the AMR identifier. I haven't heard an official reason yet, but I believe they may now have MDT access in their rigs and so it may have been easier on the CAD/MDT system to create new Medic MDT users rather than new AMR MDT users.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Another reason, potentially more likely reason, may have been the old AMR callsigns were used as contract as flex coverage for the Metro system when Metro medics got super busy. The AMR call signs seemed to have been tied to Metro stations that did not have Medics assigned to that station already or just needed extra medic coverage based on stats.

At this time City and Metro have an agreement for Metro medics to fill in for City medics while new City medics are being brought in due to some diesel issues on many of the rigs.

My guess is since the Metro medic system is already clogged enough, they've up'ed the number of AMR rigs to cover City as well, and as such it just makes more since to give them their own series of identifiers (Medic-8xx) that are not tied to a Metro station since they'll also be covering City stations.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.