SRFECC Shorter Dispatch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcjones94

Ok so I was listening to the scanner today, only on VHF fire dispatch channels (154.19 & 153.89), and it sounds as if they've shortened their dispatches.

Around 5:00 today they would dispatch the units but would not repeat the units as they usually do. And sometimes they wouldn't say the operations TG.

Anyone know why this is? Or did the dispatcher just forget to repeat the units and say the operations TG?

clanusb

A few years ago (before Sept 2007) the dispatch went like this:
Battalion #, Units, Nature of Call, Location, Nature of Call, Location, Map Page.

There was no "beep beep beep" on the 800 dispatch, so when the dispatcher spoke there was no warning, and no repeated units. However, if you flipped to A2/A3 or B2 quick enough they would quickly announce the Units, Nature of call, and the location. But only once.

With enough of the Departments complaining, they finally convinced them to switch to a new format.

Starting Sept 2007 the dispatch went like this:
Battalion #, Units, Nature of Call, Location, Nature of Call, Location, Units, Map Page, Channel.

With this change of format you now have the Beeps on the 800 Dispatch to give a "heads up, shut up and listen." Also...there is no repeating of units on A2/A3 or B2. BUT...if the dispatcher is able to and has time, they will give updates over the radio...."engine and medic XY..your responding to a 14 y/o F...c/o shortness of breath."

As of 19:47 Dispatches are still of the latter format. It could have been one of the trainee's that they have. I believe antfreq said they have 2.

Could have been because they had too many calls stacked up to dispatch as well.

Last edited:

RolnCode3

Two things:

1) I HATE, HATE, HATE that they use the exact same tones that Sheriff and PD use on the 800 when dispatching for 211's and really hot calls. I wish they'd switch to anything different.

2) As previously stated, when they get really busy they seem to dispense with repeating everything, and will only call it out once. It is nice to get a second chance to get the details - especially location and type of call for those of us who might be affected or have to go, but aren't firefighters.

Sac916

A few years ago (before Sept 2007) the dispatch went like this:
Battalion #, Units, Nature of Call, Location, Nature of Call, Location, Map Page.

Remember when Fire used to say "Seat belts and caution" at the end of their dispatchs?

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Remember when Fire used to say "Seat belts and caution" at the end of their dispatchs?

Now that WAS a long time ago :)

My uncle was dispatching back then, if I remember correctly, out of the office next to station 21?? but they may have moved already??

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
roln i know what u mean - sometimes i scan fire and so at the same time and when fire uses their tones i think uh oh a 211 or something going on

and its just some difficulty breathing grandpa or something
so i just stopped listening to fire i showed them

lol

clanusb

Is it even possible to have different alerting tones on 800? I mean I'm sure it can be done, but everything I've heard here in Sac sounds the same. Is it because of laziness and its just easier to make everything "the same"?

Sac916

Is it even possible to have different alerting tones on 800? I mean I'm sure it can be done, but everything I've heard here in Sac sounds the same. Is it because of laziness and its just easier to make everything "the same"?

You can have multiple tones. SMF ( SD 6 ) uses different alert tones for example. There are also calibration/tone variances. The pitch and timing "can" be different to various system users.

I don't think it's laziness, it's just that it's not that big of a deal to "most" of the end users on the system. In the past I've heard more complaints about "tone" volume and "pitch".

I remember a few years back they made changes to some sort of interface with the "tones" and since then, there have been unresolved issues of the "beeper" covering units and dispatchers.

Status
Not open for further replies.