SRRCS SmartZone vs SRRCS P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperWhopper67

Premium Subscriber
I live near Sacramento and am frequently listening to both the Sacramento Regional Radio Communications Type II SmartZone System, and the P25 System

I hear plenty of traffic on the Sheriff Talkgroups (among others) on both systems.

There are distinct differences between the two systems:
P25 uses 700 MHz freqs for the Twitchell Island site, and 800 MHz freqs for the Countywide Simulcast site, and the SmartZone uses 800 MHz freqs throughout all three of its sites.
Also, the SmartZone uses mixed, but mostly analog voice; P25 uses digital voice.
The talkgroups are mostly the exact same for Law, Fire, and EMS, but some TG for miscellaneous other agencies are different.

Also a lot of traffic on the SmartZone sounds like digital voice that has been pre-demodulated and sent as analog signals. Is that something that happens or am I just crazy?

That being said, I was curious about whether the two systems broadcast the same traffic. Are these systems locked in a simultaneous broadcast of some type? Do they use the same towers? Are there plans to dissolve the SmartZone and move fully over to P25?

Thanks

P.S. I am having some slight issues tracking the systems on my TRX-1; that post will be made right after this one in the Whistler Section. So if anyone is knowledgeable on Multi-Site Trunking for Whistler scanners, then your help on that thread is appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.