SSB transmissions South Pacific,around 16.540 Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

alok

I was recently on a South Pacific cruise and around Somoa ,French Polynesia I heard much chatter around 16.520-16.580 ,centered around 16.540. All SSB.
I was not sure on language ,one time I heard a WX transmission from Australia in same frequency area in English.

I thought maybe fishing boats but there was so much chatter I wondered when they had time to fish ?

Any ideas what I was hearing ,it was on everyday from early morning until late afternoon ,occasionally the people would break into English speaking ,just afew words then back to their language.

Al

SCPD

QRT
Ship to shore phone patches from various commercial shipping vessels, etc. The language can vary by region but we've heard mostly Tagalog.

When I remote in to the Japan sites, I can hear all kinds of languages.. some Arabic, French, Italian...

I still haven't heard any English on a remote site though. Rich American's have sat phones these days! :D

zl2taw

I was recently on a South Pacific cruise and around Somoa ,French Polynesia I heard much chatter around 16.520-16.580 ,centered around 16.540. All SSB.
I was not sure on language ,one time I heard a WX transmission from Australia in same frequency area in English.

l

I think the WX transmission you heard was from VMC Charleville on 16546khz
which can also be heard on 8176khz

Status
Not open for further replies.