SSD Testing Video Down Link/AVL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Was monitoring SRRCS SD TS2 (63312) today around 1430 and could hear what sounded like testing for a video down link from STAR VIII. From what I could tell it sounds like the system was working very well.

They have also been doing some new CAD testing with what sound like automatic vehicle location on SD 10 (61840) over the past week or so.

RolnCode3

CAD was switched to Versadex/Versaterm on Sunday the 31st. According to the memo I saw AVL was not going to be turned on at implementation - but it is part of the software (CAD) and hardware (Toughbook CF-30) in the cars. Training included using AVL and mapping in Versaterm.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Hearing lots of field units talking with a tech guy on SD 10 today, he said he will be in town for two more days to help work any problems.

Sac916

Hearing lots of field units talking with a tech guy on SD 10 today, he said he will be in town for two more days to help work any problems.

New CAD/MDT software went online 6am Jan 31st.

After the dust settles, more bells & whistles, interfaces will be implemented.
AVL will be online when it's certain the current data network is able to handle the workload.

Versadex software is running VERY well. SD10 is being used as field support. Some techs are at fixed posts to troubleshoot (operator error HA) issues.

It's a big change to the previous CAD/MDT - The learning curve is pretty steep for those that are not proficient with computers/Windows/etc

SPD uses Versadex, but a slightly older version - they are upgrading to the latest version.

Yes, the video down link is "finally" installed and being tested.

RolnCode3

From a networking standpoint, is the new CAD very different from the old?

I never touched your old CAD, but can vouch that Versaterm is cool as hell. I can see how someone uncomfortable with Windows and PCs in general could get run over by the program. There's a lot going on on the screen.

Sac916

From a networking standpoint, is the new CAD very different from the old?

Yeah - It substantially more complex - not for the mainstream technology out there, but for the department. Many more users have their fingers in this system. It touches many more databases via integration and interfaces. You've got a lot of computers talking to each other and pulling data from each other. Not a recipe for disaster though.

As far as wireless data - just imagine trying to watching hi quality streaming video on dial-up. May need to stick to some small YouTube videos till bandwidth is managed. HA

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
i also heard several times air cards mentioned... so ssd has air cards in all their toughbooks?

also have heard that poor tech guy repeat about 100 times a day CTRL-C CTRL-V
you can always tell the people who weren't using computers back in the dos days

ctrl-c whats that hehe

its ctrl-v not p cause it was only for viewing in the old days there was no pasting hehe

Sac916

i also heard several times air cards mentioned... so ssd has air cards in all their toughbooks?

also have heard that poor tech guy repeat about 100 times a day CTRL-C CTRL-V
you can always tell the people who weren't using computers back in the dos days

ctrl-c whats that hehe

its ctrl-v not p cause it was only for viewing in the old days there was no pasting hehe

Aircards and RDLAP

Oh how I loved the DOS days!

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
when i was getting onto the internet in early 90s it was unix or linux only the good old days when nobody was on the internet hehe

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Sac PD Air-1 was up testing video down link today on SD T5 (62704).

Status
Not open for further replies.