SSTV event on ARISS - likely last for the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon48

I've got my SDR tuned in. I've picked up ISS SSTV with radios before, but I think with SDRSharp's gain maxed out, I can get a better signal. My setup defines "basic." I ran a bunch of coax to a spot in my apartment that picks up the 2m Ham Band well, and attached a normal BNC FM antenna to the end of the run. Hopefully, I'll get a close enough pass or two and will be able to add to my collection.

Anything I'm able to decode, I'll post to this thread.

Your Software Decoders link is an excellent reference. Not to knock any competitors, but I'm very happy with MMSTV. Currently, I've got it working with an inexpensive USB sound card. I just connect the microphone and speaker jacks to each other via A 3.5 mm male to male cable.

Token

It appears that the low audio problems that plagued the ISS SSTV transmissions in the past are gone now, audio has been good and strong for the last 4 passes here.

It also appears I might have caught the beacon (145.791 MHz) for the XW-2C sat on a pass in one of the ISS recordings.

T!

dragon48

Caught this image at 4 this morning in Northern California. Used my FT-60 handheld with an attic mounted Radio Shack discone.

Nice!

When I leave NYC and buy a real house, I'll have space for a real antenna setup.

No passes anywhere near me today. Do you know how close the 4:00 A.M pass was to you? With my crude setup, I've picked up FM signals transmitted from 65 miles away, but having to deal with elevation and angle issues, as well as the movement, maybe I need a closer pass.

jland138

Thanks for the reply. This was our first pass for the event. The elevation of the pass was almost 68 degrees. N2YO.com said the distance was 450 km (280 miles). In general, the distance isn't much of a problem. But, with all of the recent rain, having the antenna under a damp roof attenuates the signal a fair bit.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Here are two from this morning.
1. Kenwood D74A recording audio directly to internal MicroSD card
2. Elk log periodic antenna aimed along the ISS path (Hand held)
3. Audacity - Resample wav to 11025 Hz.
4. Rename saved .wav to .mmv
5. MMSSTV to open and play each file. Then paste the image into whatever and save out as jpeg or whatever.

[ Click for full image ]
SSTV20191229A.jpg SSTV20191229B.jpg

dragon48

These are really crappy pictures. I picked them up on Saturday and Sunday, the 28th and 29th. Due to the low-quality and incompleteness, I wasn't at first sure they were from the ISS, but then I saw some posted pictures from people who have good antennas, and recognized some of the features in mine. Hoping to be able to share some better quality pictures soon, but for now, this is all I have:

6mIAUu6.png

JDLiMuz.png

Status
Not open for further replies.