ST-2 and coax

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have 4 ST-2's in my attic (best antenna ever!). I have been using RG-6 Quad Shield on them for years, in 2 different homes with great results.

Has anyone here used other coax types like RG-58 or RG-8X on an ST-2? Good, bad, indifferent?

My runs are roughly 25-30 feet so.

trp2525

Many years ago I used to use RG-58 coax for my base scanner antennas but found it to have too much loss especially at the higher frequencies. Like you, I now use RG-6 QS with much better results compared to RG-58. At 400 MHz RG-58 loses 11.2 dB per 100 feet vs. 4.3 dB for RG-6. That calculates to 2.6 times greater loss at 400 MHz. At 900 MHz RG-58 is much worse with a loss of 20.1 dB per 100 feet compared to 6.0 dB for RG-6. That calculates to 3.3 times greater loss at 900 MHz. Even with your relatively short runs of 25-30 feet as you posted, you would still be losing quite a bit of signal especially at UHF and higher frequencies.

To get the most out of my RG-6 QS coax I use high-quality F compression connectors like the cable/satellite TV companies use. If you prefer, you can also use an RG-6 QS BNC compression connector on the scanner end of the coax to avoid having to use an F-to-BNC adapter.

rbm

I use RG-6 to five ST-2's and my runs are around 100'. (and a number of other antennas as well)
BUT, I have pre-amps right at the base of each of them.

I use good quality RG-6 with solid copper center conductor and compression fittings.
(I've never tried quad shield RG-6)

If there's any RF in the air, I can receive it just fine.

I've tried Belden 8214 and then 3/4" hardline.

But with pre-amps at the antennas, I saw no difference at all over the RG-6.

Rich

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
I use RG-6 to five ST-2's and my runs are around 100'. (and a number of other antennas as well)
BUT, I have pre-amps right at the base of each of them.
I use good quality RG-6 with solid copper center conductor and compression fittings.
If there's any RF in the air, I can receive it just fine.
I've tried Belden 8214 and then 3/4" hardline.
But with pre-amps at the antennas, I saw no difference at all over the RG-6.
Rich

What type of amps are you using at the antennas?

I have a compression tool and connectors so I might get a spool of RG6QS to replace the pre-made lengths I have there now. (I can actually work in my attic this time of year here...)

rbm

I use PPC EX6XL compression fittings.
I buy them by the 1,000's ;)

You can see the results in this post:
http://forums.radioreference.com/co...87-best-cable-w-f-connectors.html#post2515001

Most of my pre-amps are RF Bay, Inc LNA-1000
The one I use for lower frequencies and SatCom are the LNA-580. Also from RF Bay.
You can find them on ebay.

And, for ADSB etc.....
I use several Mini-Circuits ZQL-1900MLN amplifiers
http://forums.radioreference.com/sp...plers/252680-p25-uhf-pre-amp.html#post1850155

And SatCom on an ST-2 using a USB dongle and SDRSharp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYquhQQ4fvs

Rich

Edit: All using RG-6 coax.

Status
Not open for further replies.