ST-2 antenna, 15' up, 50ft run.. which coax cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

af5rn

Well, you've been here long enough to realise that most people who ask this question don't like the answers they get, and end up saying, "that's too expensive! Can't I just use TV wire?" :lol:

What are you listening to, and how far away is it. If you are in an urban or suburban area, and only listening to public safety in the same county, it really doesn't matter. But if you have some serious distance requirements, I'd spend money on a taller mast and a professional antenna before I spent any extra money on thicker cable than RG-58, which is the cheapest you will find.

RG-59 is an impedance mismatch for scanning (75ohms vs. 50ohms), which isn't a huge deal for simple scanning, but still to be avoided unless you're just getting it for free.

If you're going for serious distance, as well as running your cable more than 100 feet, then I would go with LMR400 at the very least, but yeah... it's pricey.

Pretty much same county, there is a state police apco-25 transmitter about 5 miles away, barges on the Miss. river about 3 miles away, and a Kansas City center transmitter about 20 away. All pretty closeby as distance goes I'd suppose.

I was looking at eiher rg6 or rg6u, 5ft total piece. I'll check into the 400, thank you! The existing wire was done about 15 yr ago, so it's not something that gets changed much.

af5rn

Well, before you just go buy something, I'd recommend this page...

http://www.hamuniverse.com/coaxdata.html

There, you can compare the characteristics of the various coax types that are available to you, then decide which offers the best balance of performance and price. Good quality coax is always a good investment. But again, it takes a LONG coax run before you'll really notice any difference. Your extra money would be better spent on a taller pole or better antenna, which gives immediately obvious results.

Good luck!

N1BHH

Impedance mismatch is relatively insignificant to a receiver, to a transmitter, that is entirely different. Grab some RG6U because it is the most economical you can find. If you can't find any, try RG59U. Using RG58 is okay, but it's just okay, it isn't the best to use at the upper range of the spectrum due to line loss. RG6 is a decent choice, but to get the best, would cost an arm and a leg, and half a weeks wages, to get. LMR400 is one of the best in line loss (in other words, it has the least line loss) at 800 Megahertz of any of the above.

Airdorn

LMR-400 is great, but it's very thick.. maybe twice as thick as RG6. Working with it can be difficult. It's definitely not for the faint of heart. :)

hoser147

The RG 6 at wallyworld for 50 ft should be under 20 bucks with snap and seal type F connectors on it. The system is not that far away and you could get by with it. The LMR 400 is the best choice but is more expensive. So pretty much the rest is up to you. Alot of people on here have used both. Just depends if you want to try and pull other stations in from farther away go with the 400 if not the RG 6 will be fine..............hoser

k8mcn

Airdorn said:
LMR-400 is great, but it's very thick.. maybe twice as thick as RG6. Working with it can be difficult. It's definitely not for the faint of heart. :)

Yep, it is stiff enough to hold a hand held up in the air :)
You can run the lmr 400 in to a couple feet away and then run a short jumper of something a little more flexible........

Status
Not open for further replies.