ST-2 Antenna..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddley

Does anyone have any experience with the ST-2 Antenna fom Antennacraft? I'm currently looking into it. It comes with 50' of RG6(which I don't really need).... I was wondering if anyone out there has experience with this type of antenna. What is the reception like? Mounting difficulties? etc? Any help greatly appreciated!

Diddley

tspainiv

Shelby Co DB Admin
Database Admin
I run this antenna and it's wonderful! I can pull in VHF freq. from over 50 miles away, clearly. It's almost as good on UHF. 800MHz is really good too, although not as good as the VHF performance.

It's not difficult to mount, you just have to keep in mind it's at 8ft. long, tip to tip.

All in all, it's a great antenna for the price.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
They are very good performers, but they are also very fragile. Expect a short lifespan if it is mounted high without any shelter. The weak point is at the base of the top "dipole" assembly (where the three elements expand from the center). There was a "reinforced" model made a few years ago. The reinforcement made little to no difference.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
I've been very happy with mine. The ST-2 IS the reinforced version of the older (weaker) Scantena. I DID reinforce the vertical element with an old fiberglass bicycle antenna and some tape/tie-downs. I get a lot of wind and I've had no problems so far. I have a RS 20-176 higher on the same mast and the ST-2 outperforms it on just about everything. I don't monitor much 800Mhz stuff so I can't give you much of an opinion there.

Just bought one saturday. Now I'm picking up 800Mhz systems 40-50 miles away. Old antenna couldn't pick up a system 20-25 miles away. Best money I ever spent for an antenna

safetyobc

I've had mine now for about 2 years or more with no problems (except squirrels damaging my coax). I have mine up at 30' and it works great! Pulls in those VHF-Systems. I bought mine from www.antennawarehouse.com (the ST-2 is also known as the Scantenna).

LarrySC

Say What?? You dont need the coax??? You will need 75 ohm coax for the 300 ohm ST-2 Scantenna because it has a 4:1 Balun. Maybe you got plenty of RG-6. I get mine from the cable sub contractors. If you ask them for a spool they will give it to you. It's free to them anyway. I use that antenna in addition to several others. It is a little weak on 800. Good Luck.

brandon

Database Admin
Scantenna

The Scantenna is awesome! Best bang for the buck.

As we speak I am listening to my radio located in El Cajon, CA (San Diego Co) that uses a Scantenna and listening to agencies from LA county (100+ miles away), some of them at full bars. Also picking up the NOAA WX transmitter from Santa Barbara. That's probably 200+ miles away!

Here is a recording from a few mins ago on the Long Beach VHF and UHF channels recorded from El Cajon, CA... 100 miles away with a Scantenna at 25ft.

VHF 153.950
Long Beach Fire - Dispatch

UHF 460.125
Long Beach PD - South Dispatch

Not too bad for 50 bucks IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.