ST-2 Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Soo my old school ST-2 got taken down by a tree during a storm so I am looking for a new antenna to replace it for my scanners.

What is good these days 100mhz to 900mhz range.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Soo my old school ST-2 got taken down by a tree during a storm so I am looking for a new antenna to replace it for my scanners.

What is good these days 100mhz to 900mhz range.

Most people seem to be using a discone to replace outside antennas.

Sent via Tapatalk

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
The OmniX from DPD Productions is often cited as the closest replacement for the no longer available ST-2.

DPD Productions - Base & Mobile Antennas for Radio Scanners: VHF, UHF, NOAA, Low-Band, 700 MHz, Police, Fire, Public Safety

(Other than being a customer, I am not associated with DPD Productions. I am only reporting other posts and reviews that I have read.)

John

questnz

1+ for OmniX from DPD. Great antenna, well made in the USA and good people to deal with. Thank you Dave from the bottom of the World.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
So shortly after my last post here I got a OmniX now I know it says Tuned: 118-137, 148-175 & 225-900 MHz but I didn't think it would so bad in the 142mhz range. I listen to this system a lot https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2560 now the digital channels work nice but the analog ones are full of static which I didn't have before with the ST-2. Almost thinking of refurbing my ST-2 and putting it back up on the roof.

RFBOSS

Antennas can be rather application specific in there operation, but the ST-2 is a difficult antenna to beat on average.

I build clones specifically peaked, targeted for certain frequency ranges as needed. There is not any magic to a well designed and implemented antenna.

A friend of mine said to me once, an antenna is just some pieces of aluminum, how much difference can there be...

There are some fine working antennas available from what I read, but it has been so long since I have purchased a commercial scanner antenna that I can't offer any first hand experience.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
How long has it been since you stopped using your ST-2 and began using the OmniX? Is it possible (even remotely) that another RFI / EMI noise source has appeared in that time.... even something you inadvertently created such as by installing a noisy LED light bulb, noisy AC adapter / switching power supply / "wall wart"? Or something that has appeared in your vicinity as a new source of RFI, e.g. leaky CATV system, noisy electrical pole, neighbor got new washing machine (yep... there's another thread on how washing machines can be major sources of scanner interference).

Ubbe

The Omni-x are three dipoles in parallell. The elements seems to be tuned to 125MHz, 155MHz and 400MHz. It should also work at 3 times the tuned frequency.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.