ST 2 Scantenna Roof Mast

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd970

I just ordered the ST Scanenna off of ebay. I found some good reviews (from this site) and they're able to get higher frequencies. Plus for under $60 shipped, I couldn't go wrong.

Now I want to get the peices in place to mount it on my roof. (The neighbors are going to like this.) I'm in Northern Colorado so I have to deal with wind and snow.

Any suggestions?

Thx.

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
The last Scantenna I ordered came with the hardware required to mount the antenna on a pole. You don't really need a rotator for the Scantenna, so you could get by with a chimney mounted pole.

jd970

The only problem w/ my chimney is the location, between two massive trees.

I was thinking about mounting a pole on the other side of the house, but that's between two trees also.

Guess I could mount it on a pluming vent (seems like a bad idea).

The best spot I have is right in the middle of my roof. I searched for some solutions on the web, but the large amount of different options/antennas were a little mind boggling. Guess I’m looking for some simple kit, or ideas for actually mounting this on the top of my roof.

bagmouse7 said:
The last Scantenna I ordered came with the hardware required to mount the antenna on a pole. You don't really need a rotator for the Scantenna, so you could get by with a chimney mounted pole.

hsdtech

JD,

You could mount an antenna mast for the scantenna on your roof a couple of ways. If you have a chimney, R.S. sells chimney mounts for that very reason. They also sell Eve mounts to mount the mast to the eve of your house.
The most popular masts are 5ft. and 10ft. After mounting your mast to your roof just mount the scantenna onto the mast. Then route your coax to your radio.
Be sure to GROUND the antenna MAST pole. Use copper wire and attach one end to your mast and the other end to either a nearby cold water pipe or to a ground rod. If you don't have a ground, buy an 8ft. copper ground rod and pound it in the ground as close as you can to the mast as to make the copper ground wire as short as possible.

Good Luck.

hsdtech

jd970 said:
The only problem w/ my chimney is the location, between two massive trees.

I was thinking about mounting a pole on the other side of the house, but that's between two trees also.

Guess I could mount it on a pluming vent (seems like a bad idea).

The best spot I have is right in the middle of my roof. I searched for some solutions on the web, but the large amount of different options/antennas were a little mind boggling. Guess I’m looking for some simple kit, or ideas for actually mounting this on the top of my roof.

You could also go with a 30 foot telescoping "push up pole" mast that is sold at Lowes. It's made by Channel Master and is very reasonable at $44. It even includes 3 guy rings in case you need or want to use guy wires.
I use 2 of them and they really work great.

jd970

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll go with the one that mounts on the eve of the house, seems pretty straight forward.

Now pounding an 8' ground pole in to the ground here in Colorado should prove to be pretty interesting. I'll figure out a way to get it done.

Again, thx a ton for the input.

hsdtech said:
JD,

You could mount an antenna mast for the scantenna on your roof a couple of ways. If you have a chimney, R.S. sells chimney mounts for that very reason. They also sell Eve mounts to mount the mast to the eve of your house.
The most popular masts are 5ft. and 10ft. After mounting your mast to your roof just mount the scantenna onto the mast. Then route your coax to your radio.
Be sure to GROUND the antenna MAST pole. Use copper wire and attach one end to your mast and the other end to either a nearby cold water pipe or to a ground rod. If you don't have a ground, buy an 8ft. copper ground rod and pound it in the ground as close as you can to the mast as to make the copper ground wire as short as possible.

Good Luck.

jd970

hsdtech said:
A good sledge hammer works wonders on getting those rods down into the ground :)

Untill you hit a nice sized rock, as I've ran in to this when I was building a pit for a pig roast. I have a friend that has a boaring tool that will go down about 6 feet. I'll probably employ his help for this project.

sony

jd970 said:
I just ordered the ST Scanenna off of ebay. I found some good reviews (from this site) and they're able to get higher frequencies. Plus for under $60 shipped, I couldn't go wrong.

Now I want to get the peices in place to mount it on my roof. (The neighbors are going to like this.) I'm in Northern Colorado so I have to deal with wind and snow.

Any suggestions?

Thx.
Grove Enterprises sells them for 49.95 each.

sony

hsdtech said:
JD,

Good Luck.

Is it necessary to also use guy wire? What happens if you don't ground the antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.