ST-2 VS. Homebrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4DXX

Premium Subscriber
I have been scanning for 30 years and mostley used a st-2 for the last 20 years..I seen one homebrew on ebay for 37.00 in a pvc tube and thought i would like to see how good it really is..Well i must say it's amazing for wire in a tube..Better than the st-2 on the aircraft band and seems to be better on uhf..I don't have any systems on 800mmhz so i cant comment on that but if it's anything like the other's it will be great..I can say if your on a tight budget this thing rock's and does what he claims,Some will say snake oil but i don't care it's side by side with the st-2 on a 50ft tower and it does as good as i just said..And on VHF/UHF it's somewhat better..I know the st-2 is no longer avalible..This would be my choice.If your on a budget as i am.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have not looked inside the pvc but for 37.00 it would be hard to beat..It's neck and neck with the st-2 on uhf/vhf..I would say slightly better

Any wire outside will perform will work OK. Why not make your own for $0.00 if you have materials laying around the garage/basement. Or buy what you need for a few bucks? That would also give you the opportunity to tweak it for a particular band if desired.

N9JIG

Sheriff
It looks like the same idea of the Austin Ferrett, several vertical dipoles with a common feedline. If done right it should perform much better than a discone.

Sporadic E enthusiast
I have not looked inside the pvc but for 37.00 it would be hard to beat..It's neck and neck with the st-2 on uhf/vhf..I would say slightly better
There is a photo of whats inside somewhere on this site, from 2017 maybe.

Ubbe

It could be that the ST2 are too efficient and gives too high signal levels to your scanners/receivers/active splitters so that they overload and de-sense. Using a less effective antenna will cure that. A variable 0-20dB attenuator are always a good tool to have when dealing with external antennas.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.