St Catherines - Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

tusker305

Can anyone in St.Catharines monitor Toronto PS. Or is TO too far away. Also looking for a good list for Niagara MilAir. Large MOA covers almost all of the US side of the lake. Whats the scoop?

tusker305

Wow two days and nobody in St Catherines or Hamilton. I am moving in that direction this summer and it would help knowing how far from Toronto you can Monitor Toronto. I don't want to move all that way and find out i'm just out of range of all the fun.

acosell

I am in Hamilton and I can monitor Toronto Public Safety. I should probably mention that I live on the 18th floor of an apartment building though.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I was able to monitor TPS when I lived on the 17th floor of an apartment also in the hammer.
As for St. Kitts, sorry noone got back to you here sooner.
I was generally able to pick up Fleetnet towers for Fonthill & the falls from most areas of the city.
I can also monitor the encrypted signal of whatever the extremely killjoy & secretive(lol) Niagara police call themselves but I have never monitored TPS from St. Kitts.
I would guesstimate that with a decent antenna you should be able to acquire the TPS system. Toronto is pretty much directly across the lake i.e. nothing to impede the signal, in fact the lake might help it out.

Hopefully someone from the area will give you a definate answer.

Last edited:

VE3RADIO

EJB said:
I was able to monitor TPS when I lived on the 17th floor of an apartment also in the hammer.
As for St. Kitts, sorry noone got back to you here sooner.
I was generally able to pick up Fleetnet towers for Fonthill & the falls from most areas of the city.
I can also monitor the encrypted signal of whatever the extremely killjoy & secretive(lol) Niagara police call themselves but I have never monitored TPS from St. Kitts.
I would guesstimate that with a decent antenna you should be able to acquire the TPS system. Toronto is pretty much directly across the lake i.e. nothing to impede the signal, in fact the lake might help it out.

Hopefully someone from the area will give you a definate answer.

I live in Mississauga and can get Niagara stuff often, i even pull in fire service in New York State.. i should also mention that i often drive the QEW from Mississauga to Buffalo and listen to TPS and PEEL often the entire drive .. it cuts out after the Garden City Skyway.. once im ont he Niagara Falls side of that bridge.. nothing..

I should also mention i use the south tower that sits atop First Canadian Place.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
WZ1 said:
I live in Mississauga and can get Niagara stuff often, i even pull in fire service in New York State.. i should also mention that i often drive the QEW from Mississauga to Buffalo and listen to TPS and PEEL often the entire drive .. it cuts out after the Garden City Skyway.. once im ont he Niagara Falls side of that bridge.. nothing..

I should also mention i use the south tower that sits atop First Canadian Place.

That makes sense WZ.
It seems that south of the skyway there is a rise in the land and it is rocky.
All of that would impede a signal.

VE3RADIO

EJB said:
That makes sense WZ.
It seems that south of the skyway there is a rise in the land and it is rocky.
All of that would impede a signal.

Yeah that is 100% correct, i should also mention i have a proper mag-mount scanner antenna atop my car.. without the antenna the signal is shotty, even along the water..

tusker305

Thats great news folks, I am looking into a highrise on Hamilton Mountain ( I didn't know there was a mountain in Hamilton) . So it sounds like a discone ant and a highrise should do it. Thanks Guys.

VE3RADIO

tusker305 said:
Thats great news folks, I am looking into a highrise on Hamilton Mountain ( I didn't know there was a mountain in Hamilton) . So it sounds like a discone ant and a highrise should do it. Thanks Guys.

From the top of Hamilton mountain i can pickup Durham fire and Oshawa municipal works.

xml

Reception in St. Catharines is so, so.

You can hear the South, West, and East towers around strength two in St. Catharines on a portable.

With a proper antenna system, hearing it full quieting should not be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.