St James new frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Last spring I was visiting St James, and there was a brush fire down the block from me. I noticed that I never heard any radio transmissions in relation to this fire even though I was standing next to and talking to the Fire Chief. I am heading there again soon so I decided to run their FRN for licenses and saw that they got a new allocation in January of 2016 WQXB435.
Only one new frequency is listed for St James in the RR data base and it appears incorrect. The FCC allocation for 159.4425 is a repeater not a fixed base. I was wondering if anyone has any first hand knowledge of the repeater input, even though based on most licenses that a frequency listed as mobile only would be the input and the fact that it is the largest frequency separation of all those allocated should be 153.74. 154.22 and 154.415 are also incorrect in the database as KRE 475 was licensed to Town Creek in Winabow and expired in 2001. I will submit these incorrect findings for 152.22 and 154.415.
I would submit my suppositions about 159.4425 repeater with input 153.74 but I am not down there enough to confirm, but I will try to confirm after I go there.

I have found numerous other errors so I am going to run all call signs for Brunswick Co Fire listed

Last edited:

NYRHKY94

Radioman2001:

52to12 is correct. I hear SJP Fire loud & clear on the VIPER system with the Southport tower programmed into my Uniden BCD996XT and BCD536HP. For what it's worth, you can also pick-up the SJP fire police (volunteers who help with traffic at the scene) on 151.625 (186.2). They use very low power radios, so you need to be quite close to the scene to pick them up.

radioman2001

I am well aware that most everything is on VIPER, I do monitor the nearest sites but, considering the costs I doubt they have more than just a few 7/800 radios other then in the apparatus. The Fire Chief had a VHF Kenwood radio and was using that to co-ordinate with the incoming equipment. As it turned out the brush fire was actually in Oak Islands territory.
I looked at all the Radio Ref listings for VHF fire frequencies in Brunswick County and found numerous errors. Expired licenses, wrong call signs associated with wrong departments. St James now has a repeater which is not listed. I am not knocking the submissions but appears that the database hasn't been updated in years when licenses expired in 2001 are still listed, and to the wrong agency. I sent in a 2 page correction list and a recommendation that the County frequencies be listed separate then the individual Fire Departments with their Dispatch and private channels and finally the Hospitals. I intend to when I have more time to come up with a complete list of frequencies for the entire county, but will need help in determining PL codes and names.
I am heading down there soon and even though this is a maintenence trip I will still try to make some observations

radioman2001

New Fire Police channel

OK new info SJFP no longer use 151.625 the new repeater that they were trying to get working for the past few months is now functional as of 2-19-2017. That repeater is for the Fire Police for co-ordination of manpower. Basically all the former LTR radios have been given to the Fire Police, and the apparatus radios have been reprogrammed..

I will submit the correct input an output frequencies when I get back to NY.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Strange I didn't know North Carolina had Fire-Police

I thought that was just a concept north past Virginia.

David

WA4MJF

Strange I didn't know North Carolina had Fire-Police

I thought that was just a concept north past Virginia.

David

We called Traffic Control Officers in NC.

§ 20-114.1. Willful failure to obey law enforcement or traffic
control officer; firemen as traffic control officers; appointment, etc., of traffic
control officers.

Ronnie

kc4jgc

We called Traffic Control Officers in NC.

§ 20-114.1. Willful failure to obey law enforcement or traffic
control officer; firemen as traffic control officers; appointment, etc., of traffic
control officers.

Ronnie

So THAT'S what fire police is! I have this programmed for the Delaware statewide system; never heard anything on those TG's until recently. Thought maybe they were investigators. Never heard of this anywhere but Delaware.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
So THAT'S what fire police is! I have this programmed for the Delaware statewide system; never heard anything on those TG's until recently. Thought maybe they were investigators. Never heard of this anywhere but Delaware.

Fire Police units are quite popular north of the Mason-Dixon line, especially in PA and NY. Fire Police departments are typically comprised of older or retired firefighters that still want to help but don't want to go interior anymore in my experience. Some fire police trucks up there can be as simple as our IMAP units or a full sized rescue/rehab with cones, signs, flares, rehab supplies, etc. Many fire departments in NC call these folks part of the auxiliary or traffic control officers only.

Fie Police is mostly a yankee term and looking at the makeup of the fire department, it's easy to see why they named it as such.

I left Brunswick County (and the fire service) in 1999 just as they were starting up. They have grown a bunch since then.

radioman2001

Well I am from NY and we call them Fire Police, I spoke to their in house radio guy and at any rate the new Fire Police repeater located on the St James grounds is, repeater TX 159.4425 PL 186.2 repeater RX 153.74 PL 186.2. Coverage is good for most of the town.

I also found 2 other repeater pairs one is active (as I have seen the repeater in an attic of a town owned building) and about a dozen other frequencies for the clubs and maintenence. One I think was originally for the town itself as it's in the PS band.

More to follow.

NYRHKY94

Just a quick follow-up thank you note for Radioman2001. Been enjoying monitoring the SJP Fire Police since you posted the new repeater frequencies. Reception coverage is much better now and they can be heard throughout the community. Much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.