St. Louis Area VHF Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

RADIOUSER5

Premium Subscriber
For the past few weeks, interference has been heard on 154.280, 154.265, 155.340 and a few other VHF public safety channels in the St. Louis area. Transmissions occur for only a few seconds making it hard to direction find. The interference sounds like it is off frequency and the audio can not be understood. It is not wide band and does not appear on all channels. Any help in locating the area or source through signal strength reports would be appreciated.

W0JLH

I think I know what it might be. My friend has a older router in his house and when i scan the frequencies on my 2M radio it pops up on all 3 of those and 151.530 is its strongest I don;t know if this will help or not

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I think I know what it might be. My friend has a older router in his house and when i scan the frequencies on my 2M radio it pops up on all 3 of those and 151.530 is its strongest I don;t know if this will help or not

I don't think it is a router! The interference radiouser5 is speaking of is heard area wide. It can be heard in Illinois as well as most of the St. Louis metro area including out west here in Chesterfield, MO.
I think it was well over two months ago that I saw the first report of the interference and I still hear it as recent as last week on the area fire/ems frequencies. If you sit on some of the frequencies the OP posted then you should here it a few times a day but like the OP said, it is a very short duration transmission so DF'ing the signal is nearly impossible.
Most likely, your friends router is only emitting noise very local to his home like a hundred feet or so if even that far.

redhelmet13

Sounds like some VHF eqpt is spitting out "spurs"... We had that in the Fort Worth area some years back and the hams tracked to a railroad transmitter box along a railroad track. These things are a beastie to track down and it takes quite a bit of persistance. Sounds like the amateur DF'ing guys need to be put on a spur hunt.

RADIOUSER5

Premium Subscriber
VHF interference

It is still occuring; heard yesterday and again today.

Thanks for the posts. I am still committed to finding it!

Status
Not open for further replies.