St. Louis area weather streamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2JDS

I have moved my weather feed , St. Louis area 162.550 KDO89 from RadioReference.com over to wunderground.com. Up until now, there has been no St. Louis area feed on their weather radio feeds. I did notice that wunderground does not sound as good as it did with radioreference. I checked quite a few other feeds and many of them sound "tinny" to me. If anybody knows a fix for that , send me info. Audio is streamed from a Pro-92 just locked on 162.550.
http://audioplayer.wunderground.com/N2JDS/St_Louis.mp3.m3u

talkpair

Are your bit rate and sample rate the same ?

Usually, if you play around with the sample rate, and bit rate of the source, you can get different results.

I compared your audio with the Kansas City broadcast and found differences in the bitrate.....yours at 16,000, vs. theirs at 24000.

You're also broadcasting in stereo, and theirs in mono.

I run a shoutcast server here at the house to listen to my scanner from various rooms.
I get excellent results using bit rate 16000 and sample rate 12000 -- mono.
The connecting clients report the sample rate as 11000 however, but this isn't a problem.

Your broadcast really doesn't sound bad to me.......I've heard worse.
Considering the audio is synthesized voice anyway.
Unlike public safety monitoring, listeners of NOAA weather radio probably don't listen very long anyway.
They get the information they are seeking, then leave.

You also may want to take note of the time delay of the audio from the time it enters the computer to the time it hits the listener speaker.......My shoutcast server inserts about a 2 minute delay, so the changes to the bit rate/sample rate may take that long to become noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.