St.Louis City PD and St. Louis County PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelleys1

Ballwin, MO - We are moving to Austin, TX 1 Mar. 2
P.s.

Oh, by the way, if it makes any difference to anyone on this thread (even though it's somewhat off topic) St. Louis County's new radio system IS NOT GOING TO BE ENCRYPTED!!

As of right now, if everything continues on the way it's going, the system will be up and running by May, 2013.

shelleys1

P.s.

Oh, by the way, if it makes any difference to anyone on this thread (even though it's somewhat off topic) St. Louis County's new radio system IS NOT GOING TO BE ENCRYPTED!!

As of right now, if everything continues on the way it's going, the system will be up and running by May, 2013. :)

KeyWest35

Premium Subscriber
I also heard from a very reliable source that things are moving right along as well with many agencies getting their new radios in about 3 months. As with any new important equipment it will take a lot of familiarization with them as lives are on the line with their use. I may run over and see how the new center is going as it is close by.
As form as encryption i have mixed feelings as some radio transmissions with PD should be kept silent for officers safety. I agree with most posters on here that at times law abiding civilians can be alert to what is happening and be an extra set of eyes and ears. I also feel that it doesn't help a department who choses to encrypt but only increases mistrust for all officers of that department.

shelleys1

Training is provided for dispatchers, officers and civilian personnal who carry/need radios, from both the manufacturer and the department when a new radio system is installed. I've seen some of the Motorola radios which will go into service with the new St. Louis County system. Although they (obviously) won't be the same as the ones they're using now, and will take some adjusting to (it's an 800MHz P25 system), everyone who will be using them will have plenty of lead time to get used to, learn and comfortable with both the radios and the new system.

The new EOC is coming along quite well! Even though we've all suffered through a horrible heat wave and drought, it has actually been a benefit to the build of the new EOC. No rain has kept the "down days" to a bare minimum and the building is ahead of schedule!

As far as encryption goes...some encryption is an absolute necessity! Those operations such as undercover activities, drug operations, etc. require encryption. But regular, day-to-day activities do not. County PD, as stated, will not be encrypting their operations except for those which require it - which means their dispatching will be exactly the same as they're doing right now (with different frequencies)! Interoperability is key to St. Louis County's operation and will continue to be.

Shell

I also heard from a very reliable source that things are moving right along as well with many agencies getting their new radios in about 3 months. As with any new important equipment it will take a lot of familiarization with them as lives are on the line with their use. I may run over and see how the new center is going as it is close by.
As form as encryption i have mixed feelings as some radio transmissions with PD should be kept silent for officers safety. I agree with most posters on here that at times law abiding civilians can be alert to what is happening and be an extra set of eyes and ears. I also feel that it doesn't help a department who choses to encrypt but only increases mistrust for all officers of that department.

fullpwr5675

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,I work with law enforcement and fire on a daily basis.I've been told that all county municipalities for example (Frontenac,Creve Couer,etc) are going digital or to MOSWIN by Jan.2013,I believe they are mistaken this with the narrowband deadline as some are getting new radios.Does anyone have any solid info on this?Because I'd like to get rid of the huge amount of analog equipment before its useless,Thanks

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The only thing I know for sure is that the county is installing a multi-site P25 800 MHz system and all muni's within the county can join into the new system. I'm sure there will be nice incentive's for many muni's to join the new system and that alone may cause many to make the switch.
Especially if the county will cover much of the maintenance cost.
I think the new MOSWIN system also has incentives for counties to join that system in exchange for their frequenceis which will become available to the state for MOSWIN use.

I would expect many muni's that have already upgraded their equipment and are already narrowband compliant may stay put where they are now.

I've read that the county plans on staying in the clear with the exception being certain channels like tactical comms. Those will be encrypted.
I'd also guess that any municipality that joins the new county system will use encryption if they so choose.

I'd imagine there is a list somewhere that lists the muni's that will make the switch when the system is ready but nobody has offered any info.

Like Chesterfield, they are dispatched by county so will they join the new system? I'd think they would as one of the new tower sites at the current EOC location is in their city limits.
There are several muni's that county dispatches for so it will be interesting times when that new system is up and running.

I do believe your thought about all going digital by Jan 2013 is a mistake like you said and it is just confusion with the narrowbanding deadline.
That may be a way to tell what muni's are planning on joining the new county system, if they apply for the narrowband deadline exception that the FCC is allowing.
No sense in purchasing new radios to replace the old ones not capable of narrowband if they are planning on joining the new county system!

I see some muni's have had license mods done that show narrowband emission's but that may be for just the old VHF point to point and mutal aid type channels that I suspect will remain in use for a long time.

I wonder what will become of the RIOT channels like 154.725? Will that stay in use for many years or will it go away? That's a pretty active channel when air support is in operation and working with a small muni or several muni's at one time. I can see those channels staying as they are for a long time. Unless of course everyone did join the new county system.
Then of course the federal government is planning a nationwide system so who knows what may happen then.

KeyWest35

Premium Subscriber
After looking at the radio St Louis County Fire and PD are getting i am not sure we will be able to receive them on a scanner.The APX radio i believe is for X2 TDMA which the PSR 800 will receive but will not receive phase 2. If someone knows for sure i would like to hear but my sources can't give that technical information as they just don't know. I am sure a scanner manufacturer will come up with one eventually to receive phase2 but it would be a crap shoot to buy another one now until i can verify i can receive them.

scannerowner

After looking at the radio St Louis County Fire and PD are getting i am not sure we will be able to receive them on a scanner.The APX radio i believe is for X2 TDMA which the PSR 800 will receive but will not receive phase 2. If someone knows for sure i would like to hear but my sources can't give that technical information as they just don't know. I am sure a scanner manufacturer will come up with one eventually to receive phase2 but it would be a crap shoot to buy another one now until i can verify i can receive them.

KC Fire uses APX Radios and they're Phase I, so you should be find listening to them. Also I believe MOSWIN also will have APX Radios... So no worry, you should pick them up still...

harrisjt

Premium Subscriber
St. Louis City can be heard out in St. Charles County near Lake St. Louis and parts of N. O'Fallon. I think it's due to the elevation.

that is due to the fact that the O'fallon system is a site off the STL city pd system.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
that is due to the fact that the O'fallon system is a site off the STL city pd system.

Not true at all. The city cars would need to travel to O'Fallon before you will ever hear them on that tower.
The only exception is a few citywide broadcast that did come over the O'Fallon tower as reported by a user out in that area.
I monitor the O'Fallon site often and never hear the city cars or dispatch on the O'Fallon tower.
The entire state will be part of the same system in the city (1CE) but you are not going to hear the city cars across the state nor will you hear the state cars in the city unless they are in the city.

KeyWest35

Premium Subscriber
St louis County Council last night approved St Louis County Police dispatching fire departments and or districts.if they so choose. It will be more cost effective and efficient for the citizens of the county when it actually begins which may be as late as the end of next year.

harrisjt

Premium Subscriber
Not true at all. The city cars would need to travel to O'Fallon before you will ever hear them on that tower.
The only exception is a few citywide broadcast that did come over the O'Fallon tower as reported by a user out in that area.
I monitor the O'Fallon site often and never hear the city cars or dispatch on the O'Fallon tower.
The entire state will be part of the same system in the city (1CE) but you are not going to hear the city cars across the state nor will you hear the state cars in the city unless they are in the city.

that is not correct, i work on this system and there are city TGs that are strapped to this site as well that means regardless if a radio is on the STL city pd TGs or not its on the site, since its being merged to MOSWIN more channels have been added to this site and as there is more sites added on the 7/800 side you will start hearing more STL city and county off the sites in ST charles county, also there is 2 sites going up and loading is about to be done on it.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
that is not correct, i work on this system and there are city TGs that are strapped to this site as well that means regardless if a radio is on the STL city pd TGs or not its on the site, since its being merged to MOSWIN more channels have been added to this site and as there is more sites added on the 7/800 side you will start hearing more STL city and county off the sites in ST charles county, also there is 2 sites going up and loading is about to be done on it.

This may be true in the future but what they were talking about (the old post you replied too) was being able to hear the city's 800 MHz system out near O'Fallon and beyond. They were not monitoring the 700 MHz system. I can vouch for hearing the city 800 system way out there, I've heard it as far west as several miles west of Warrenton before coming back in 70 to 64.
I do know there have been a few reports of city traffic showing up on the O'Fallon site in the past but it was rarely heard. And when it was reported, it was usually citywide or SODD type channels from what I recall.

I myself have never heard a city dispatcher or mobile/portable unit come over the O'Fallon tower. I don't monitor it daily either though. I'm only going on what others have reported hearing when monitoring the 700 MHz system out there.
I don't see any advantage of the city comms coming through the O'fallon tower either. If there are some dead spots in north city, then maybe I could see it. I also know the state actually runs the city PD so that may have something to do with it also being as it is all slated to be a part of MOSWIN.
I guess it won't matter much if the city encrypts everything.

KeyWest35

Premium Subscriber
Didn't want to start a new thread since we have St Louis County PD on here but wanted to say i went buy the new EOC and dispatch center today and the building is really going up. Had to look behind a construction gate but it is a large building. The tower has not been started yet. It is a large concrete building with no windows. It looks as if there is a second floor but that is deceiving as there is none .It will probaly be sometime next summer before the building is complete and radio testing and dispatch starts.

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
St louis County Council last night approved St Louis County Police dispatching fire departments and or districts.if they so choose. It will be more cost effective and efficient for the citizens of the county when it actually begins which may be as late as the end of next year.

This will (as far as I've been told) be a backup dispatching protocol in case the other fire alarms (EOCs) go offline for any reason.

For example:

South county Fire alarm will still dispatch soco but with CO PD being able to dispatch in the event SOCO goes down.

Also note North Central will be moving to the new EOC with Central county under one roof. I don't know if it will be a seperate TG/Tone dispatch frequency and what not.

Everyone in the county runs so much mutual aid it's almost silly to have so many so many different dispatch centers.

I hope that the smaller munis like brentwood, ladue, and Ucity go with a larger comm center cause it makes mutual aid a pain sometimes. With the new TRS system going into effect it'll be interesting to see how they allocate talkgroups.

All I can say is if you don't have a digital scanner, now is the time to purchase one, looks like the entire metro area will be P25, including surrounding counties

Does anyone know if this new EOC is where Central County fire alarm is or is going?

KeyWest35

Premium Subscriber
This will (as far as I've been told) be a backup dispatching protocol in case the other fire alarms (EOCs) go offline for any reason.

For example:

South county Fire alarm will still dispatch soco but with CO PD being able to dispatch in the event SOCO goes down.

Also note North Central will be moving to the new EOC with Central county under one roof. I don't know if it will be a seperate TG/Tone dispatch frequency and what not.

Everyone in the county runs so much mutual aid it's almost silly to have so many so many different dispatch centers.

I hope that the smaller munis like brentwood, ladue, and Ucity go with a larger comm center cause it makes mutual aid a pain sometimes. With the new TRS system going into effect it'll be interesting to see how they allocate talkgroups.

All I can say is if you don't have a digital scanner, now is the time to purchase one, looks like the entire metro area will be P25, including surrounding counties

Does anyone know if this new EOC is where Central County fire alarm is or is going?[/QUOTE

My understanding is that Central County Fire Alarm is staying where they are since it is privately owned. St L County PD dispatch is moving from Clayton to the new dispatch/eoc center. My understanding is that the County Pd will be dispatching for a number of fire departments in addition to Police and No Central may cease to exist as well as So County probably eventually. Some munies will keep their own dispatch. When the county takes over a lot of the fire dispatching it will be done cheaper and more efficiently as some of these private dispatch centers have a lot to be desired and you should be aware of some of the problems since you are a firefighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.