St. Louis City Public Safety- NEW P25 TRS (Official Sticky - Fall 2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Does anyone have the control freqs for the new P25 System In St Louis. I plan on being in St Louis. (Actually I am going to the Boats to lose a little money (ha ha) there)
and plan bringing the scanner (396t) with me.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I'm going to be in St. Louis for a long weekend towards the end of the month and will have the system loaded in both my 996T and PSR500. If I come up with anything interesting I'll be glad to share it. Apparently this must be VERY new if there are no CC's listed in the RR database yet. Is the infrastructure even that far along?

WingnutStl

Premium Subscriber
I keep hearing conflicting stories about this "new" system. The city PD did purchase a large quantity of portable radios that are P25 capable using federal funds. These radios also work on the current (analog) system. I have yet to see any FCC license grants or anything else that might give a hint as to how close an actual P25 system is to being functional. I did hear at one point that whatever they were planning on putting in was simply going to simulcast the current system.

I live about 25 miles west of downtown St. Louis and am hoping that the new system will yield better reception here!

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
System ONLINE - same freq's, no new

Identified 10002 as Police - Districts 1 & 2.

ALL users last night were saying the system is working GREAT and much better than the old one.

People were standing in particular places, saying it is working fine, where with the old system, they could not get a signal into the TRS.

There is no system or site ID showing at this time. No WACN either.

Now, for a few minutes on Tuesday night, i Received: (which could be erroneous info)
--SYS ID: 0104-0504 (so sysID 0104 site 0504)
--(doesn't really make sense that it is site 0504)
--control channel 859.43750
--voice channels: 858.43750v 856.71250v 856.46250v

Possible line up at this point:
Police Dispatch Talkgroups
Inbox

DEC HEX Alpha TagDescriptionTag
0 000 D Police InfoB 10005 ?? Info B (North) Law Tac
0 000 D Police InfoA 10001 ?? Info A (South) Law Tac
0 000 D Police BOI Bureau of Investigation (Detectives) Law Tac
0 000 D Police SODD Special Operation Deployment Division Law Dispatch
0 000 D Police D910008 ?? District 9 Law Dispatch
0 000 D Police D710007 ?? District 7 Law Dispatch
0 000 D Police D6&810006 ?? Districts 6 & 8 Law Dispatch
0 000 D Police D4&510004 ?? Districts 4 & 5 Law Dispatch
0 000 D Police D310003 ?? District 3 Law Dispatch
10002 2712 D Police D1&2Districts 1 & 2 (*ID'd during testing 8/27/08) Law Dispatch
10020 2724 D unid 10020testing 8/27/08 Other

I am copying the new system Full Scale in Glen Carbon, on 30 foot tower.
I am barely getting the system on mobile scanner, with antenna on trunk in Glen Carbon.
Near Horseshoe Lake State Park, it was nearly full scale mobile.

Last edited:

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator

Now, for a few minutes on Tuesday night, i Received: (which could be erroneous info)
--SYS ID: 0104-0504 (so sysID 0104 site 0504)
--(doesn't really make sense that it is site 0504)

This means the SYS ID = 104. Since the site number is 504, this could either be for testing purposes, or this system might be part of a much larger and complex (metro area) Project 25 TRS yet to come. You might see other area P25 trunking systems come online down the road with a SYS ID of 104, but with Site numbers like 101, 201, 301, 502, or 901, etc. A good example of this type of setup would be the Phoenix Regional Wireless Network (PRWN). On the other hand, the city of St. Louis, might be approaching this from a future perspective, where their TRS would fit into the scheme of things as part of a statewide interoperability matrix. Nonetheless, it will be interesting to watch things unfold in the St. Louis Metro area over the next 1-3 years.

73s

Ron

Last edited:

jas0nr7272

SLPD District 3

Units on District 3 were instructed to switch over this morning at 5AM

All of South patrol is supposed to go live Thursday at 5AM

dpm3

District 3 (StLPD P25) so far ...

I've had very poor listening to the new P25 system broadcast of District 3 here in the Webster Groves / Oakland / Glendale area thus far today. As suggested earlier here (I think) the talkgroup is 10003. Most transmissions are broken - many so much as to be unreadable as to critical elements. Disappointing contrast with the old analog system. I recognize that they didn't design the system to work out here in the County, but this location is only five and a quarter miles west of the city limits via I-44 - a bit less "as the crow flies". I'd have expected a bit more "overlap" than that! Are any others listening and, if so, what kind fo reception and at what range are you getting?

As info I've noted the following talkgroup numbers during my monitoring of tests over the apst couple nights: 10001. 10002, 10003 (District 3 - see above), 10020 ("Comm Port"), 1011, 10020 ("Announcement Group"?).

Others, please share the results of your monitoring.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I was in Crestwood, on New Sappington just down the hill from Watson (366) when I was out there last week. I had very good reception of the CC and heard TG 10002, the only one I was able to receive at the time due to limited monitoring time. I was using a PSR-500 with the Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna. Anyone familiar with that particular area will know that it's quite a steep hill coming down from Watson. Where I was staying was almost at the bottom of the hill.

Not sure if that helps, but I figured I'd report anyway.

WingnutStl

Premium Subscriber
My reception of the system at work (just south of Soulard) was just fine on my PCR-500. Driving west on I-44 tonight reception was pretty good until just outside of the city limits (Shrewsbury and points west). The signal was non-existant on 270 north of 44 or west of 270 in the Manchester area. I need to dig up my old 800 Mhz mag mount antenna instead of the RS 800 Mhz rubber duckie and see if that helps any.

My overall impression of the system thus far is that coverage doesn't seem any different than the old analog system. I'm also curious as to how much of the new system will go encrypted.

n0vkg

Premium Subscriber
South County (E of I-55)

Greetings,
From South County, E of I-55. Reception here is good.
Both Pro-96 and BCD-396T are getting the slmpd p-25 just fine.
I found that I had to tweak the bcd-396t to get it to decode the
audio as well as the pro-96. I made the following switches to
the bcd-396t with the very latest firmware 2.00.07:

--> Settings
DIGITAL AGC: ON

--> slmpd p25 --> Edit Sys Option
Adjust P25 Level: Default

--> slmpd p25
Set Modulation: NFM

I have carefully been watching the ERROR rate screen on
the 396t. And the above settings seem to yield the lowest
error rates with slmpd p-25 on my bcd-396t.

The error rate screen shows the following:

ERR:--- 8 DFLT
T 1.35 1.58 1.80

The lower the ERR in number, the better. 0 or <zero> is the
best rate you can possibly attain. It means zero errors being
received. I usually get under ERR: 16 ; it frequently shows:
ERR: 0

dpm3

Reception issues - as noted previously

I took a brief "tour" to the East (closer to the StL city limits) last night and found that the audio problems improved slightly as I got east, but with no real noticeable difference until I was at Murdoch and Shrewsbury Ave. I still noticed audio "breakup" even at Jameson and I-44 and along I-44 beside the BNSF Lindenwood Yard headed back west.

I've been watching the display on my PSR-500 and note that the signal strength seems to hold up well even when the audio goes "belly up", fragments and disappears. I'm wondering if my settings may not be correct. I have the FM mode set to: "Narrow = No". If there are any tweaks or other parameters that need to be optimized, suggestions are certainly welcome. I'm going to reset the mode to FM narrow and see if that improves the reception here. In the meantime, I'd welcome any input from others using the PSR-500 as to their settings. I also note that Districts 1 and 2 seem to be on the new system this morning.

WingnutStl

Premium Subscriber
It appears that the new radio system suffered a major setback overnight. Word on the street is that the system would only allow one radio to transmit at a time (for the whole system). My source tells me that it took quite some time for someone with authority to make a decision to switch everyone back to the old system. Rumor is that the delay was because the old system is no longer being taped.

I feel for all of the officers (my friends) who were potentially at risk last night. I hate to see problems like this, but I would hate it even more if someone got hurt or even killed because of this. I've been gone from the city pd for almost 20 years and it saddens me to see that the command staff seems to care less and less about officer saftey as time passes.

It looks like they are working the bugs out and everyone should be back on the P25 system in the next day or two.

To Wingnut Re: Your thread on the new system failure

I'd love you to contact me off list at easterniowaems@yahoo.com or at my radio address N0TXJ@yahoo.com.

You mentioned that you are retired from the STL City PD. Wondering if you knew my Late uncle. I'll give you his name & info off list when you contact me.

Thanks,

Dave Springer

newbie-scnr

City Police scanning

I have just purchased a RS Pro-162 scanner and am having trouble setting it up for the St Louis City trunked system. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am brand new to this and live in the city around Gravois and Hampton. Never used a scanner until last night, but could not get anything for the city, got the county setup just fine though. Thanks

Last edited:

newbie-scnr

I have picked up some conversations on the channels, will the capability lacking being to distinguish talk groups and follow the conversation vs just sitting on a freq or am I sitting on the old analog system? Thanks

Last edited:

stlscanner

The city is in the process of transitioning to a digital system. They had switched some districts over to the new digital system, but experienced some kind of failure with it last week, so they switched everybody back over to the old system - this is why you're hearing some conversations. Once they move to the new digital system, and it's just a matter of days until they get things straightened out, you will not hear anything from them if you don't have a digital scanner.

dpm3

Just announced at 2102 hours (CDST) this date: StL PD is switching back to the "old" (analog) system at 2115 hours. Any guesses as to how much this little P25 exercise is costing the taxpayers?

Status
Not open for further replies.