St. Louis County Police - 155.565 changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stlouisx50

Tonight I have noticed on 155.565 the signal is booming in stronger than normal around 270/70 and 5th st/ 70. I thought at first it was an officer keying up close by, but it's dispatch. Have they added another tower or changed the wattage?

KeyWest35

Premium Subscriber
Tonight I have noticed on 155.565 the signal is booming in stronger than normal around 270/70 and 5th st/ 70. I thought at first it was an officer keying up close by, but it's dispatch. Have they added another tower or changed the wattage?

The St Louis County PD dispatch center had a water pipe break early last evening and they had to switch things around for a while.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
The main comm center in Clayton was flooded when a water pipe burst. They were running backup at the EOC out on Olive and White Rds. They may have been using the tower out there which could have given you a whole new outlook on radio reception.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Here's my thoughts.
I monitor most of the county precincts and know the normal signal levels.
155.565 seems to be the only one that was routinely broadcast from the EOC on Olive and Ladue or White. I always got a 50 over S9 signal from that broadcast.
Now, since the dispatch move to the backup dispatch location at the EOC, I get a lesser signal from 155.565. It's still strong at 20 over S9 but definitely not as strong.
My guess is the dispatchers are now sitting down in a bunker directly under the 155.565 transmitter and it was causing desense issues if they also switched some of the other precincts receive antenna's to the EOC location. So, I'd say they have moved 155.565 to one of the more northerly towers that will still cover the needed area.
The county has 9 tower locations across the county and they can use any of them. They also have a temp or portable license if they need to deploy the mobile comm center truck.

I only live maybe a mile from the EOC and can see it's antennas easily from the base of my antenna's. 155.565 does usually cause me desense issues but right now with the lower signal strength, they are not causing any problems. So I agree, they should keep this configuration!

For all other precincts, the signal levels are all about the same for me as they were pre water pipe break.

One I've never figured out is the broadcast for Chesterfield. It used to be on 155.130 and I received an S9 or higher signal from it. But, apparently that frequency was interfering with a user over in Illinois so they switched 155.130 to another precinct and tower and then reassigned that other precincts 154.875 to Chesterfield.
I have no idea which tower they are using for 154.875 but I only get an S6 to S7 signal from dispatch and when mobile units are here at my location, they cannot reach dispatch from their portables. They either call on cell phones or go out to their cars and use the higher power mobile radios. They never had problems with the portables when they were on the stronger signal tower on 155.130 years ago.
They need a voting receiver at the EOC that picks up the portable transmissions on 154.875 so they don't need to go to their cars or use cell phones. Then again, I doubt their portables would pickup dispatch when inside the building. My Motorola's don't and if they do, it is a very weak and static ridden signal that is pretty much unreadable.

Status
Not open for further replies.