St. Louis Ham radio repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

user440

Good day folks,

I recently purchased a ham radio at the last St. Louis HAM fest and it appears the radio has some pretty serious problems. Lesson learned, I should have fully tested before passing the cash.

Can anyone recomend a local shop that repairs HAM's?

Background:
Just for reference, it is a Alinco DR-135 T mobile unit. With the mic disconnected, the unit powers up and appears to be functional. When the mic is plugged-in, the unit shuts off almost like the ground / polarity of the mic is wired incorrectly internally. Hoping the mic was just jacked up, I purchased a mic off of Amazon and unfortunately the unit exhibits the same issue. My good deal has suddenly become as expensive as just buying a new unit I suspect.

I am not opposed to sending it for repair, but would like a pretty quick turn-around if possible.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike
KD0WTN

N9RMA

Mike. Check with Gateway electronics in STL. They may beable to tell

N9RMA

Mike. Less try again! check with Gateway electronics in STL. They may be able to tell you whom to call. 73 Bob N9RMA

user440

Thanks for the reply, Gateway was the first place I called. They did not have any suggestions for a newer radio.

Through Google, I did find one place on the Illinois side called First Class Radio Inc. but I have not taken the radio out there yet. If I do, I'll report back to close the loop on this thread.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Purchasing a used unit can have its challenges. Modifications are not all that uncommon (I speak from experience hi hi) especially if the unit is older or has had numerous previous owners. If you have no luck with places that repair them and can get a hold of a mic pin out diagram, you can check if the mic is wired correctly. And as cmdrwill mentioned, if that is not the stock mic, the wiring may be wrong. I hope you solve your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.