St Tammany Fire Districts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technoguy58

Well, changes are in the wind. Starting to see all the fire districts dispatch show up on LWIN now. I don't think many departments other than maybe Slidell are actually using LWIN yet, but the talk groups are being setup for future use. Right now dispatch is on LWIN and VHF for most (maybe all) districts. Working on sorting them out.

pinkfish457

Well, changes are in the wind. Starting to see all the fire districts dispatch show up on LWIN now. I don't think many departments other than maybe Slidell are actually using LWIN yet, but the talk groups are being setup for future use. Right now dispatch is on LWIN and VHF for most (maybe all) districts. Working on sorting them out.

Slidell is still on analog P25 except for the PD. Unitrunker doesn't tell me if the PD frequencies are encrypted or what. The fire department and city services are still in the clear. The St. Tammany LWIN tower is difficult to receive from my location in Slidell. Unitrunker signal varies from green to yellow and back. I can't seem to find another tower to point my antenna.

pinkfish457
Location near North Blvd

jim202

Slidell is still on analog P25 except for the PD. Unitrunker doesn't tell me if the PD frequencies are encrypted or what. The fire department and city services are still in the clear. The St. Tammany LWIN tower is difficult to receive from my location in Slidell. Unitrunker signal varies from green to yellow and back. I can't seem to find another tower to point my antenna.

pinkfish457
Location near North Blvd

The LWIN tower covering Slidell is at the Slidell PD. The next tower would be in Pearl River beside the fire station there off of highway 41 just south of highway 36.

As the LWIN towers in St. Tammany Parish are being simulcasted, your will probably want to use a directional antenna and go after the closest tower.

Technoguy58

Talk Groups to work on

If anyone wants to help monitor these talk groups to verify what Districts they are, here is what I have

34593 Unifire 1
34595 Unifire 2
34574 Dist 8??
34615 Dist 9 or 7??

34609 Dist 1 Verified
34596 Dist 4 Verified
34619 Dist 11 Verified

These are simulcast with VHF dispatch for now. Any others I find I'll post. Still looking for Dist 5,6, and 3 and possibly Covington.

pinkfish457

The LWIN tower covering Slidell is at the Slidell PD. The next tower would be in Pearl River beside the fire station there off of highway 41 just south of highway 36.

As the LWIN towers in St. Tammany Parish are being simulcasted, your will probably want to use a directional antenna and go after the closest tower.

What is the Lacombe tower used for? Is it for LWIN? That's the one I've aimed at. I didn't know the tower at the PD was transmitting LWIN. I'll reaim and check back.

THX

Technoguy58

Towers

The new build out system that St Tammany uses is an extension of LWIN. There are 5,6 8, who knows tower sites around the parish that are all part of the same simulcast system. All towers broadcast the same info at the same time. That is where the simulcast distortion comes from. The timing of the same signal reaching your radio is off just a little bit from different towers so yor scanner has a difficult time decoding the digital info. I hope this makes sense to you. It really does not matter what tower you are trying to listen to. They all are broadcasting the same info. You need to attenuate your radio somehow (either by setting attenuate in your radio, or using an internal antenna, or placing your antenna in a paint can, or something similar) so your radio hopefully will not get confused by the same signals that are off by just a little bit of timing from different tower sites. Hope this makes sense. Using my scanner, just driving across the parking lot or moving around the room makes a lot of difference as to how well my scanner decodes the digital info. By the way, all Slidell PD is fully encrypted on LWIN.

Technoguy58

The locations I know of for LWIN in St Tammany are Covington, Blond, Bush, Talisheek, Waldheim, Pearl River, Slidell, Abita Springs, maybe Lacombe(might be what is called Abita Springs due to post office coverage). That is what I am aware of.

Technoguy58

No Oak Harbor site !!

there is no Oak Harbor site anymore. Has basically been replaced by the Slidell site that parish simulcast is using. Slidell and Pearl River sites are much closer to him than Talisheek. The problem is simulcast distortion as has been discussed plenty of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.