St. Tammany Parish

Status
Not open for further replies.

vjkurvy

KURVYNATION.COM
I had two questions, I remembered seeing a .kml file or a diagram of where the towers are located. Second, Why can't I pick St Tammany up right now? Says Simucast? I was looking for IDs

riccom

Premium Subscriber
-.- .- -. ... .- ... / -.-. .. - -.-- / -- ---
OK since the system is a simulcast, you can program whats on radioreference website, and still hit the towers, only issue is where tower 1 and 3 may overrun each other, and this is whats called simulcast distortion, it is a pain in the ass, now there is the hammond tower you can get a good chunk of st tammany traffic on!

vjkurvy

KURVYNATION.COM
OK since the system is a simulcast, you can program whats on radioreference website, and still hit the towers, only issue is where tower 1 and 3 may overrun each other, and this is whats called simulcast distortion, it is a pain in the ass, now there is the hammond tower you can get a good chunk of st tammany traffic on!
View attachment 78538
So, entering a area code like Mandeville may help?

riccom

Premium Subscriber
i am assuming since the first tower was built they had too add the clinton tower under that call sign, it's not uncommon, as late tower builds are under a callsign pool, arkansas and mississippi have done it before when the amount of sites are full for one call sign and another is used to keep the build legal and under fcc rules.
if you notice in the north metro simulcast, it has 4 agencies call signs for one site and set of frequencies. i would also guess that it keeps from the towers from expiring and a "fall back" to keep it running,with no shut downs(best guess not set in stone)

charlie12

i am assuming since the first tower was built they had too add the clinton tower under that call sign, it's not uncommon, as late tower builds are under a callsign pool, arkansas and mississippi have done it before when the amount of sites are full for one call sign and another is used to keep the build legal and under fcc rules.
if you notice in the north metro simulcast, it has 4 agencies call signs for one site and set of frequencies. i would also guess that it keeps from the towers from expiring and a "fall back" to keep it running,with no shut downs(best guess not set in stone)

Ok I was just wondering since it was on the map and way over in East Feliciana Parish and between the Jackson and Greensburg towers. Just for info if you see the Baywood tower in EBR it's not in Baywood it's in Pride if the leaves were off the trees you could see it from the Pride Post Office

jim202

riccom, you need to update your map. There is a tower in Covington behind the jail. There is another tower on highway 1083 just south of highway 40. There is another tower in the Pear River area off of highway 41 at the cellular tower behind the public works barn and fire station.

All of the 8 towers are linked in a microwave loop. Then off of the tower behind the jail is the microwave leg that goes to the switch in Baton Rouge.

All the towers have a generator to supply power if the local electrical power feed fails.

The 8 towers are all part of the simulcast system that was built out in the Parish.

Most of the different fire departments in the Parish were part of a grant to obtain both mobile and portable radios that became part of the state wide 700 MHz. trunking system.

As St. Tammany Parish is a bedroom area for many people that work in public jobs in other areas of the state, the trunking system was over built to supply additional voice channels to supply capacity for normal day to day and emergency conditions. There are 2 interstate highways that travel through the Parish as well as the Causeway over the lake. All of these are evacuation routes for hurricane and other bad weather conditions.

The trunking system in the Parish will handle any talkgroup that has a user registered on it. When that talkgroup no longer has a user registered on the Parish simulcast system, it will be dropped. It is not uncommon to hear users from the Baton Rouge area or the New Orleans area on the Parish simulcast system.

With the 8 towers in the simulcast system, there are very few locations that have trouble using the system in the Parish. One issue that does show up is those users that insist on using stubby antennas on their portables. The stubby antennas have caused some locations to either be a dead location or hard for the portables to be heard in.

Jim

riccom

Premium Subscriber
riccom, you need to update your map. There is a tower in Covington behind the jail. There is another tower on highway 1083 just south of highway 40. There is another tower in the Pear River area off of highway 41 at the cellular tower behind the public works barn and fire station.

All of the 8 towers are linked in a microwave loop. Then off of the tower behind the jail is the microwave leg that goes to the switch in Baton Rouge.

All the towers have a generator to supply power if the local electrical power feed fails.

The 8 towers are all part of the simulcast system that was built out in the Parish.

Most of the different fire departments in the Parish were part of a grant to obtain both mobile and portable radios that became part of the state wide 700 MHz. trunking system.

As St. Tammany Parish is a bedroom area for many people that work in public jobs in other areas of the state, the trunking system was over built to supply additional voice channels to supply capacity for normal day to day and emergency conditions. There are 2 interstate highways that travel through the Parish as well as the Causeway over the lake. All of these are evacuation routes for hurricane and other bad weather conditions.

The trunking system in the Parish will handle any talkgroup that has a user registered on it. When that talkgroup no longer has a user registered on the Parish simulcast system, it will be dropped. It is not uncommon to hear users from the Baton Rouge area or the New Orleans area on the Parish simulcast system.

With the 8 towers in the simulcast system, there are very few locations that have trouble using the system in the Parish. One issue that does show up is those users that insist on using stubby antennas on their portables. The stubby antennas have caused some locations to either be a dead location or hard for the portables to be heard in.

Jim
So there are sites that are not listed in the fcc database (as hence where i am getting my information from) and where is there 8 towers.
as for new orleans simulcasting on st tammany system, they always have done that, as with tangi and washington,

riccom

Premium Subscriber
looking at the map of the updated lwin map, there is 8, but on the fcc database i am not seeing towers for some of them, a bit perplexed on how they can have that unless this is not listed as they are not part of the main system. like the superdome in new orleans

Status
Not open for further replies.