ST2 coax to cable amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

btlacer

KI4SJU/ Fire Captain/ EMTFR
Hey everyone I'm needing some help here. I have a ST2 in my attic and I plan to run lmr400 from the ST2 down to my closet to a cable amp/splitter. That run will be about 20 feet. Then from the closet I need 4 jumpers about 10 feet long to connect to my SDS200, (2) BC15x and a HP2. Which cables will provide the best coverage? I monitor vhf air, rail, public services and 700 mhz. Thanks in advance for you wisdom and insight.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
At 10 feet, perhaps LMR-240UF ( Ultra Flex ). This stranded version will provide cable flexibility for direct connectivity to the scanners. Still, at only 10' at 700 MHz you could get away with various cables that cost less like RG6, but it is not as flexible. Another benefit of LMR-240UF is that it can work well for routing through a vehicle if you have plans for that.

* If you have not noticed already, the ST2 is directional. That can be good or bad.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The silly F connector adapter to go from what ever you have on the LMR400 to the 300 ohm to 75 ohm transformer on the ST2 is going to have more loss than just sticking with RG6 with a F Connector on each end.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
How much loss would that adapter have?
The silly F connector adapter to go from what ever you have on the LMR400 to the 300 ohm to 75 ohm transformer on the ST2 is going to have more loss than just sticking with RG6 with a F Connector on each end.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Each adapter you use is 1/2 DB and over 20 feet you are not going to gain that much Plus feeding 75 Ohm to 50 ohm at the antenna 50 ohm to 75 ohm at the amp 75 ohm out of the SPLITTER to the scanner. Looking at 1.5 to 2DB loss over 20 feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.