ST2 or discone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackink

The ST2 is doing great. 60+ miles on UHF. Are you saying the discone should be working better? Its not picking up much past 25 miles on any band. With the two at the same height, I get 2 bars on ATIS from the Airport on the Discone, and 5 bars on the ST2.

I don't know where you live but here in Central Vermont, we've got mountains and plenty of them.

My ST2 is mounted 10' above my metal roof top using the RG6 coax that came with it and I too pick up 60+ miles away.

It was a good investment by far.....

Glad to see yours is producing well also!

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
One thing I did forget to mention though is that I have two Par filters inline. One for my local NOAA and one for broadcast FM. That is probally why I can hear ground ops that far out.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Got the second tripod, 10' EMT conduit, and ST2 mounted on the peak of the roof.
The other ST2 can be seen off to the right. Its ground mounted on a 15' tripod, and 20' mast.

Attachments

• ST2.jpg
    ST2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 543

jaybw

Premium Subscriber
I want an ST2

Does anyone know what Radio Shack is doing with the ST2 antenna? About a month and a half ago I sent for an ST2 from RS because they had them online for $31.99. Two days later I get an email from RS saying that my order has been cancelled due to no stock, but the web site still has them ( in stock). A day or so after that I see that the RS website has these in stock for $39.99. Since then they have been in stock and out of stock on line at least a couple of times. So I figure that I'm probably not going to get a better price anywhere, so I'll bite the bullet and buy it. I go back on the web site and they have taken it off completely. BTW, there were no stores within 100 miles of me that had one of these in stock. What a screwed up company!

nyair1

Does anyone know what Radio Shack is doing with the ST2 antenna? About a month and a half ago I sent for an ST2 from RS because they had them online for $31.99. Two days later I get an email from RS saying that my order has been cancelled due to no stock, but the web site still has them ( in stock). A day or so after that I see that the RS website has these in stock for $39.99. Since then they have been in stock and out of stock on line at least a couple of times. So I figure that I'm probably not going to get a better price anywhere, so I'll bite the bullet and buy it. I go back on the web site and they have taken it off completely. BTW, there were no stores within 100 miles of me that had one of these in stock. What a screwed up company!

They are still showing the #20-043 online for $32.99 I have that one and it works great. Just make sure to use locktite on the nuts of the radials when you put it together. Its been through a bunch of WNY snow storms and wind without any problems.

Voyager

I have one and it can't compare to the Scantenna. I get 2 weather channels on the discone and 5 on the Scantenna, and the Scantenna is right below the discone.

kandrey89

Feed Provider
I have a tall attic, enough room for ST2 antenna.
I was wondering if anyone tried mounting it inside the attic?
I can't mount it outside due to HOA rules.

Also, antenna is 75ohm terminated after the transformer, how do people use it with 50 ohm scanners?
I know there'll be a little bit of reflection in the line but do people use a 75 to 50 ohm adapter (passive/resistive, so there'll be some loss)? Wonder why Antennacraft doesn't offer 300 to 50 ohm transformer.

Last edited:

Voyager

The impedance difference isn't that significant for reception.

As for the attic mounting, it depends on what your house is made from (aluminum, wood, plastic, or something else). The shingles (an assumption) may not make much difference, but a metal roof of course would make a world of difference.

Voyager

And what else (unless it's a gable roof or something similar).

What I'm getting at is: What are the 'ends' made out of (if it has ends).

kandrey89

Feed Provider
It's a town house style, shared roof but separated internally, no metal walls or ends, completely wood and drywall construction only, 2 story, plus 1 story roof for size.

Voyager

I'm suspecting you have some concrete in there as well for a firewall, but still the Scantenna should work fairly well.

kandrey89

Feed Provider
There's no concrete, I've been there. The firewall is just a 2 ply of 0.75" drywall about a foot of spacing, and wood ply.

Status
Not open for further replies.