ST2 Reinforcement Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonian149

I have had my ST2 antenna up for almost three years here in Florida. This weekend we had a Nor'easter come through and fortunately it survived, but I had reinforced it like in the Wiki section, but instead of using black tape which I didn't think would last long at all here in Florida (Sun, Wind, Rain etc). I attached the fiberglass rod with nylon zip ties which I had hoped would last a long time, but they either broke or slipped. I want to put the fiberglass rod back up and I need some suggestions on how to attach it permanently. I am getting too old and can't make many more trips on the roof. Thanks in advance--Gary

K7CAR

Good quality electrical tape will last a long time, so I think is your best bet. It comes in various colors, so maybe a roll of white? I don't have the sun problems like you though. Black has held up for 20 plus years on my Ham antennas and coax ties. I picked up a couple bags of UV protected zip ties at HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more! cheap last year and they seem to be holding up well on my electric fence line. You could zip tie and wrap with electrical tape?

J-B Weld is nonconductive after drying, so you could glue the rod on with that then wrap with electrical tape after it sets. That should outlast the antenna by a large margin I would think. I've had my ST-2 up for a couple years without the mod and it seems to be holding up fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.