ST2 to Dipole

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to take down the ST2 its a good antenna for what it does, but I need more gain in the VHF hi band. I'm looking to get the Antenex YDA1502 witch is a 2 bay array it going up on 40ft pole with 75ft of LMR into 4 port multicoupler. I'm looking for some input on this antenna or can you suggest an other VHF antenna. FYI i'm looking to get one up before the California fire season.

Thanks Matt

skot1923

I'm about to take down the ST2 its a good antenna for what it does, but I need more gain in the VHF hi band. I'm looking to get the Antenex YDA1502 witch is a 2 bay array it going up on 40ft pole with 75ft of LMR into 4 port multicoupler. I'm looking for some input on this antenna or can you suggest an other VHF antenna. FYI i'm looking to get one up before the California fire season.

Thanks Matt

The YDA1502 is a half way decent commercial antenna for the price. I used the 1504 for a repeater for awhile and turned it into two 1502's for some receivers. TX bandwidth seemed a bit narrow but that is not an issue if you are using it for RX only. It is not going to be as durable and long lasting as a DB222 or similar due to the construction. If you can accept a small offset pattern, you can get a good apprx. 6dBd gain with the elements lined up on the same side of the mast.

prcguy

Used VHF 4-bay dipole arrays show up used in the $75 range and would be great if you can find one. There is a do it yourself 4-bay array project on RR somewhere, search for "VHF dipole array project" and you should find it.
prcguy

The YDA1502 is a half way decent commercial antenna for the price. I used the 1504 for a repeater for awhile and turned it into two 1502's for some receivers. TX bandwidth seemed a bit narrow but that is not an issue if you are using it for RX only. It is not going to be as durable and long lasting as a DB222 or similar due to the construction. If you can accept a small offset pattern, you can get a good apprx. 6dBd gain with the elements lined up on the same side of the mast.

DB222 looks nice, but not for my wallet... How well does it perform with the elements line up on one side for 360 coverage? Well the good thing the weather here is not that bad just some high winds everyonce and while in the winter.

Used VHF 4-bay dipole arrays show up used in the $75 range and would be great if you can find one. There is a do it yourself 4-bay array project on RR somewhere, search for "VHF dipole array project" and you should find it.
prcguy

For $75? I'm always looking for one on ebay, but never came a cross a 4 bay for that cheap. I'm a cheap guy I would rather buy one build already :)

prcguy

I've snagged 3 different VHF 4-bay dipole arrays off ebay and the most expensive was a DB-224 at $75. I also got a Maxrad and Cushcraft in the $35-40 range all without masts.
prcguy

DB222 looks nice, but not for my wallet... How well does it perform with the elements line up on one side for 360 coverage? Well the good thing the weather here is not that bad just some high winds everyonce and while in the winter.

For $75? I'm always looking for one on ebay, but never came a cross a 4 bay for that cheap. I'm a cheap guy I would rather buy one build already :)

skot1923

360 coverage is really not that bad. If you look on DB products website (or anyone else that shows the patterns for the offset gain) there is a null on the back side but nothing like nulls on high gain yagi. Most users would probably not notice much difference except in a fringe area on the backside of the antenna.

skot

Status
Not open for further replies.