Stacking 6 meter beam antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASAD

Hello.

I want to receive from and transmit into 2 different directions at a time on 50MHz. So I thought I would connect Cushcraft A50-5S 5 element beam and a Comet CA-52HB4 4 element beam. The two antennas will point in different directions without a rotor and will be connect to the same coax. Will the setup work, given that 1 antenna is 5 element and other 4? How apart should be the antennas?

Thanks,

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi ASAD, to answer your questions we would need additional information. How are you connecting the two antennas? If by a simple "T" connector, that will not work because the load will no longer be 50 ohms. How much power are you transmitting with? What type of feedline and at what length between the transceiver and the antennas? Knowing those parameters, then we can give you a better answer.

Cheers! Dave

<edit> It may also help to know what the two antenna model numbers are too so we can look at the specifications...

prcguy

If you connect them together you will loose at least 3dB of gain on each antenna because the power will be divided between the two antennas facing different directions. Do you need both directions at the same time? Can you use a remote antenna switch to select either one?

ASAD

Hi ASAD, to answer your questions we would need additional information. How are you connecting the two antennas? If by a simple "T" connector, that will not work because the load will no longer be 50 ohms. How much power are you transmitting with? What type of feedline and at what length between the transceiver and the antennas? Knowing those parameters, then we can give you a better answer.

Cheers! Dave

<edit> It may also help to know what the two antenna model numbers are too so we can look at the specifications...
Hi Dave,
Thanks for your response. My idea was to install both antennas on the same mast fed by 120' TimesMicrowave LMR 400. Since connectors have loss, thought I would just connect the center conductors to each other, tape them, then connect the shields, and tape again. However, I was not aware that it would screw up impedance. Looks like I have to put up with one antenna.
The antenna model #s are on the original post. Radio will be Kenwood TS-590SG using 100 watts or may be 80 watts.

RFI-EMI-GUY

They will likely interact with each other and the directivity will not be what you expected. Not for the faint at heart. Also, even at 50 MHz, I would use the proper connectors. Yes I tape spliced a CB cable once! It did work!

Status
Not open for further replies.