Stafford House Fire/New Radio IDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtscho

Database Admin
This afternoon, Stafford worked a house fire near Shore Dr. and Sandy Ln. The county requested fireboats from several jurisdictions, so I was able to log some new radio IDs.

2361364 Charles Fireboat 10-0-4
2361372 Charles Fireboat 10-0-4
3182421 Fairfax Fireboat 420
329xxxx Prince William Fireboat 512 (didn't get the last four, and SDS100 didn't save radio ID in replay unfortunately)

The Fairfax fireboat called Stafford Fire/Rescue Incident 1 15-Charlie-1, so I added this name to the database.

Dave

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I was going to ask about 15C1. I guess it is labeled as the 15 Charlie zone on mutual aid units radios. I was monitoring that incident on the way to work. Hard place to establish a water supply. Needed the boats to draft from Aquia Creek.

Last edited:

dtscho

Database Admin
Yes, it seems like an odd label for the channel. I would think the channel would just be called 15C (and dispatch would be 15A, etc.). If there is more than one zone for Stafford, I would think they'd be labeled 15, 151, 152, etc., similar to how Fairfax uses 4, 41, 42, etc.

Dave

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it seems like an odd label for the channel. I would think the channel would just be called 15C (and dispatch would be 15A, etc.). If there is more than one zone for Stafford, I would think they'd be labeled 15, 151, 152, etc., similar to how Fairfax uses 4, 41, 42, etc.

Dave

okay this makes scense now since each incident group has 4 channels assigned to it.

15A- Fire Dispatch
15B- Fire Dispatch2
15C1-Incident1
15C2-TAC1B
15C3-TAC1C
15C4-Command1

Of course this is my speculation but seems logical. If each zone has 16 channels then we could probably map at least part of that out.

Kenneth

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
okay this makes scense now since each incident group has 4 channels assigned to it.

15A- Fire Dispatch
15B- Fire Dispatch2
15C1-Incident1
15C2-TAC1B
15C3-TAC1C
15C4-Command1

Of course this is my speculation but seems logical. If each zone has 16 channels then we could probably map at least part of that out.

Kenneth
I am reading a document that makes mention of a "H Zone" on the radios for communication to hospitals (Encrypted)

I am thinking 15 H1 - MWH
15 H2 - Stafford Hosp
15 H3 - SRMC

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
In the wiki the ids for Fredericksburg medic 2 are wrong as well as medic and medic 7b. They are units assigned to station 5. I will be attempting to make the correct edits.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
Fredericksburg is tricky because most of the radios used by the Rescue Squad are probably portables. If anyone can help narrow down the units id that would be great. Compare your lists to what was posted thanks.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'm curious: is 15 the MCOG jurisdiction identifier for Stafford County? 10 is the MCOG id for Charles County, thus 10-04 is the fireboat from Station 4 /Nanjemoy VFD. Perhaps channel 15C1 is the first knob position of Zone C on Stafford fire radios?

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
they use the COG designation "15" when they respond outside of their jurisdiction mutal aid to Quantico, Prince William, Fauquier or Prince William. Its the alpha zone like 15A, B, C. The one is the first channel in the incident 1 group hence 15C1. It might also be the first channel in the Charlie zone like you said, duplicated.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
I've kinda given up on the wiki. If anyone in this area would like to compare notes let me know. The ems units in stafford seem to rotate. Just when I think I have the mobiles and portables documented.. nope. I think my ids for fredericksburg are wonky for the two engines and bc. Each shift must have their own radios.

fredva

Feed Provider
I'm gonna say that the fact that crews regularly report their staffing to the dispatcher with the phrase "using this identifier" has a relationship to the inconsistency in radio ids. Tying radio ids to units seems to be made on the fly in the dispatch center for a given shift.

JSsignal16

Premium Subscriber
I think the reason for Stafford Fire's non-static radio ID usage is because they use APX model 1 portables which I believe do not display individual radio aliases which would otherwise allow them to be assigned to an engine officer or driver etc. Most of the NOVA counties use APX model 3 portables that are assigned and therefore have a more static radio ID usage.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm maybe, but CAD systems translate the radio’s SUID (RID) into whatever string you want to assign.

JSsignal16

Premium Subscriber
Your right, but I think the wide use of dynamic radio IDs in Stafford Fire is due to the limitations in their subscriber equipment. I tend to see a more static radio ID usage in the NOVA fire departments except when a reserve rig is being used in which case the RIDs would be reassigned in CAD.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Ah I didn’t understand that the SUIDs were dynamic - I haven’t seen that before. I know that radios can have multiple RIDs, but I thought they were still assigned / programmed vs dynamic.

JSsignal16

Premium Subscriber
Well I don't think that the UIDs that are assigned to the physical subscribers are dynamic , but rather a particular user may use different portables each shift Instead of the user between different shifts always using the same portable all the time.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Well I don't think that the UIDs that are assigned to the physical subscribers are dynamic , but rather a particular user may use different portables each shift Instead of the user between different shifts always using the same portable all the time.
Yes, that is how it is done. Portables can be assigned to various riding positions, and sometimes they are exchanged between units, necessitating a CAD change. The mobiles are fixed obviously, but a reserve piece may be assigned to a station, and its radio's RID has to be harmonized with the CAD system.

Status
Not open for further replies.