Stamford CT unveils new Digital Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
Encryption

I have read articles about the new Stamford Communications system saying that both the fire and the police is going to be fully encrypted is this true. The police being encrypted would not surprise me but the fire channels being encrypted kind of surprises me. Does anybody have any info about this new system?

Dave520

Premium Subscriber
Yes, Almost all of the talk groups are encrypted. The only ones that are not are some of the local covernment channels such as street sign department and public works. As for the fire and EMS, I was told that as soon as a vehicle changes to a fire ground channel, that the vehicle repeater comes on so that all fire ground communications can be recorded. I believe that they are using 700mhz for fireground, but I have not confirmed that yet. It is interesting that they did make the decision to go digital encrypted for almost everything. There is alot of discussions on other parts of this board about the reception of digital communications by fire fighters on the fire ground. My volunteer company just bought new radios and we were advised (by the same company that is doing the install of Stamfords radios) not to use digital for fireground comunications because of the chance of poor digital decoding and possible backround noise interference. And now no one with a scanner whether a volunteer fire fighter or news agency or public citizen can listen to them any more! They are still maintaining the patch to the VHF frequency for the volunteer fire fighters pagers. I hope that MAYBE they will change their minds and at least get rid of the encryption on the fire and EMS channels. While I dont expect it, one can only hope!!

bigbluemsp

Interesting article on the CT Board that was posted!!

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080626/LOCAL18/806260431

Thanks Joetnymedic!!

Doesn't work properly becuase someone wasn't willing to shell the cash out to make it work the way it's designed to work.

As for encryption that is a bad way to go and still expect things to work great. Encryption weakens the signal.

A friend of mine at Motorola said he doesn't think encryption is good for everyday use other then Tactical, Narcotics and such becuase it weakens the signals in and out.

Ecryption = more issues

Encrypted fireground? Uggh...

I don't know what a police department has to gain by encryting non-tactical stuff. Why not let the taxpayers listen in and maybe even help provide a tip here or there? It happens. Where is the harm? Let the media know what is going on in the community, why not?

I am so glad my locad PD left regular traffic clear.

As far as digital on the fireground, the local FD there must just be thrilled. Do a quick search how "well" it has worked here in Phoenix so far. Our guys are still refusing to use it because it is not safe yet for structure fires.

By the way I would like to know how much of those millions spent on this CT system are because of having to have an encryption capable radio for every person on the system? Dumb.

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
Encryption

I understand the tactical channels being encrypted. But like the previous post they should let the taxpayers in the city be able to listen to what is going on. What does the Stamford fire department have to gain by encrypting the fire and ems talk groups. They should only encrypt the system when there is a big incident that might impact safety in the city. Hopefully they will stop encrypting all of the fire and ems channels. Maybe if enough people complain along with maybe the fire department then maybe they will rethink it. I just wonder what happens when they will need another town to come in more mutual aid. I cant believe even New York City isn't encrypted.

Skud

Feed Provider
Middleville, MI-Barry County(Near G.R. & Ionia
Doesn't work properly becuase someone wasn't willing to shell the cash out to make it work the way it's designed to work.

As for encryption that is a bad way to go and still expect things to work great. Encryption weakens the signal.

A friend of mine at Motorola said he doesn't think encryption is good for everyday use other then Tactical, Narcotics and such becuase it weakens the signals in and out.

yup I agree, LEIN and TAC should be but leave the rest in the clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.