Stamford FD

Status
Not open for further replies.

APX7500X2

So I have been in Stamford all week working and I have Stamford's system in my 996P2
Searching, mostly hear garbage trucks and city yard stuff as PD, FD & EMS is 100% encrypted............................For Now?????????

Over the last few days I caught the following talk groups in the open
DEC-TG26 & TG27 with a lot of people talking back and forth about fire stuff and
DEC-TG19 "Radio service to fire dispatch on a radio check"
Funny thing was radio service was in the clear and dispatch was encrypted
TG19 is fire dispatch
Then on TG26 "Testing the new lineup how do you read" "Loud and clear"
Both units in the open

if your close by take a listen....Sounds like a change is coming

HamRFinCT

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yes they can. Ever hear of a multicast? How do you think they alert the volunteers?

APX7500X2

All public safety should be encrypted 24/7, but until they figure it out we get to listen.

Stamford has been encrypted 24/7 since the new system went in like 10 years ago, but they multi cast the main fire channel over VHF 154.130 for the volunteers for now.

I made some calls and one of the Volunteer Chiefs confirmed that the FD & EMS will be dropping the encryption next week some time. He said they will be getting the Unication G5 pagers to listen and be alerted over the trunking system.

I have never seen a G5 pager but it sounds interesting

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
All public safety should be encrypted 24/7, but until they figure it out we get to listen.

Stamford has been encrypted 24/7 since the new system went in like 10 years ago, but they multi cast the main fire channel over VHF 154.130 for the volunteers for now.

I made some calls and one of the Volunteer Chiefs confirmed that the FD & EMS will be dropping the encryption next week some time. He said they will be getting the Unication G5 pagers to listen and be alerted over the trunking system.

I have never seen a G5 pager but it sounds interesting

So did you contact give you a reason why the FD& EMS are dropping the encryption? That is interesting and it would be nice to monitor them when in the area. Washington DC dropped rhe encrytion on their radios a few years afo due to issues with the radios so inwonder id thats why stamford is doing it.

APX7500X2

From what he said its so they can get rid of the VHF and use one system for alerting ( Now they can get digital pagers). It will be nice to trunk the system but you could always hear FD & EMS dispatch on the VHF patch
Washington DC had nothing to do with encryption, it was poor radio management, training and procedures. Encryption changes nothing in the performance of the radios or infrastructure.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
From what he said its so they can get rid of the VHF and use one system for alerting ( Now they can get digital pagers). It will be nice to trunk the system but you could always hear FD & EMS dispatch on the VHF patch
Washington DC had nothing to do with encryption, it was poor radio management, training and procedures. Encryption changes nothing in the performance of the radios or infrastructure.

oh ok thanks for that info

APX7500X2

Just listen to Stamford on 154.1300, analog and in the clear.

For now.

The Volly Chief told me to start listening tomorrow to the trunking system..Im sitting in Fairfield now and my scanner is getting the system, we will see what happens tomorrow

ASTRO_Man

Premium Subscriber
I too am interested if they'll drop the encryption. Can anyone confirm if the encryption is dropped? Moving back to Stamford at the end of this month.

Last edited:

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
How would they tone out the vollie companies and interop with the vollies if they went encrypted? They are a mix of paid in the city proper, with vollies around them.

ASTRO_Man

Premium Subscriber
If Stamford Fire were to go unencrypted, would it just be all of the fireground and tac talkgroups too? Or would just fire dispatch be unencrypted and the rest will be encrypted?

CqDx

I believe Fireground has always been unencrypted simplex analog. The most heavily used encrypted talkgroup is Fire Dispatch and it is simulcasted on the VHF analog channel.

APX7500X2

Can someone notify us as soon as they go in the Claire I can go down there and monitor the system thank you

7 Days ago.......And all the correct talk groups are in the database

Unfortunately all the BS talk groups are still listed that have never been and will never be used.
You just have to put the identified ones in and you'll be all set.

If you don't feel like going down you can trunk the system fine from Short beach in Stratford, Or sea side park in Bridgeport if you have a gun.

All the fire grounds are 700mhz simplex but they are rebroadcast over the trunk system like FDNY does

Last edited:

APX7500X2

How would they tone out the vollie companies and interop with the vollies if they went encrypted? They are a mix of paid in the city proper, with vollies around them.

They have been 100% encrypted for the last 10 years and have had no issues with the vollies since the vollies all have encrypted radios and get toned out on a VHF channel for now.

The paid department and vollies combined a few years ago. The department has city apparatus all the way up to the parkway and then long ridge has 2 paid guys up at those stations. The only "vollie" departments that don't have city of Stamford trucks in them is Belltown & Long Ridge.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
They have been 100% encrypted for the last 10 years and have had no issues with the vollies since the vollies all have encrypted radios and get toned out on a VHF channel for now.

The paid department and vollies combined a few years ago. The department has city apparatus all the way up to the parkway and then long ridge has 2 paid guys up at those stations. The only "vollie" departments that don't have city of Stamford trucks in them is Belltown & Long Ridge.

I was actually thinking of Belltown and Long Ridge

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
I believe Fireground has always been unencrypted simplex analog. The most heavily used encrypted talkgroup is Fire Dispatch and it is simulcasted on the VHF analog channel.

It has been recommended for several years that all fire ground operations should be non-repeated, non-trunked, non-digital and non-encrypted. There have been too many incidents over the years nationwide where calls for help on the fire ground have not been heard.

If you look at the database here, Stamford has a list of 800 Mhz fire ground frequencies. Unfortunately I do not know how they use them nor can I hear them.

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
Stamford Uses 700 Analog simplex for Fire Ground.

Just like the person above states they rebroadcast the analog simplex fire ground over the trunking system like FDNY does

Now that its open you can hear the fire ground on the trunk ground talk groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.