Stand alone digital audio recorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

thevig

I'm looking for a standalone audio recorder. Looking for a standalone solution to record audio from scanners. It's not always convenient or practical to feed the audio into a laptop or box PC.

Back in the day I used to use old school tape and DAT recorders.

I'm open to a wide range of ideas and price points. Suggestions?

polkaroo

Missed him again!
How about a used or cheap (Android) phone? That with even a paid app would be quite affordable.

thevig

How about a used or cheap (Android) phone? That with even a paid app would be quite affordable.

I'm looking for a dedicated recording solution. In other words, a device who's sole purpose is to record. I should have clarified that in my OP. Not your fault.

thevig

Ubbe

One important parameter are how many channels you'll need? That Tascam recorder are aimed at music composing and only have two inputs but can overdub on 2 other already recorded tracks. You probably need inputs that are isolated from ground so you can use outputs from scanners that use BTL amplifiers, or you have to use external ground loop isolators.

/Ubbe

thevig

One important parameter are how many channels you'll need? That Tascam recorder are aimed at music composing and only have two inputs but can overdub on 2 other already recorded tracks. You probably need inputs that are isolated from ground so you can use outputs from scanners that use BTL amplifiers, or you have to use external ground loop isolators.

/Ubbe

I'm gonna pass on multi track devices like the Tascam. I'll just be recording one scanner at a time.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I think I'm go with something like you are using. I just need to find a proper attenuator cable to go from the headphone output to the input of the recorder.
I just use a standard 1/8" audio cable. There's a dB meter on my unit when recording which displays OVER if the input volume is too high. The recordings always sound fine.

racingfan360

I have used a couple of digital dictaphones: a Sony ICD-PX312 and a TASCAM DR-05. Both work really well just with a simple 1/8" audio cable feed. I recommend looking for one that records to .mp3 format, with VOX option, and with an SD card option too. In the past the TASCAM has been particularly useful as it has a very high sampling rate, so I was able to use itto record high-quality discriminator output for DSD+

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
One option:

You'll find others at a wide range of prices

The only issue I potentially see with that compared to say, a DR-40 or DR-40X is the lack of a "remote" input to pause and start recordings based on COR.

ilgrant

I think I'm go with something like you are using. I just need to find a proper attenuator cable to go from the headphone output to the input of the recorder.
You may not have to. I have a different model of sony digitial recorder and it had the option to change the input level. Check the manual to verify.

Status
Not open for further replies.