Standard Cars for Police Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
So.... the university I go to they just got 5 2012 Dodge Chargers but they're just the SE standard one? I see that the ones for police use have the gear shifter near the dash well these ones have it near the center council? How can they use these for police cars? Is it cheaper for them to buy these vs. the pursuits ones? OK THanks

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The law enforcement models do cost more money, but they can cost less than adding things from the aftermarket.

The law enforcement models tend to come with extra engine and transmission cooling, bigger alternators, pre-wired for emergency lights, pre-wired for radios, the largest production engine, and larger brakes. (Among some other things.)

If the campus patrols do not need many of those options in their vehicles, they might save a fair bit of money by buying the regular editions, and adding what they need.

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
So.... the university I go to they just got 5 2012 Dodge Chargers but they're just the SE standard one? I see that the ones for police use have the gear shifter near the dash well these ones have it near the center council? How can they use these for police cars? Is it cheaper for them to buy these vs. the pursuits ones? OK THanks

They can use the cheaper "standard" models because they are a university police dept. They only have law enforcement capabilities inside the campus (and any public roads that pass through it). They don't patrol any highways or cover large geographic areas. They have no need for the expensive upgrades that come with a police-package vehicle.

Lights and sirens can easily be added to any vehicle. Since their patrol area is so small they may not need two-way radios in their cars as their handhelds have enough power to cover the campus area (although they may have installed two-way radios in the cars to communicate with the municipal police). I doubt they have mobile data terminals in their cars, but if they do then aftermarket brackets are available for that as well.

Last edited:

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Seems a bit strange getting 5 at a time......unless they replaced half there fleet.......1 or 2 at a time seems more cost effective......than buy 2 more next year.....and so on... having them wear out all at once not good on the pocket for anyone

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I still see Fulton County (GA) Marshal driving around in older Ford Taurus's! Look hilarious with the big lightbar on top!

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber

Well you ARE talking about a university PD.... it's not like they have a huge jurisdiction to cover and they probably don't have a huge budget. Most university PD's I've seen don't use models specifically designed for law enforcement.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
If you are an authorized public safety agency, the PD model can cost way less. In the thousands less, my 2009 PI stickered at a little over $34,000.00. I paid $21,000.00 for it. Maybe they couldn't get the true PD version or they got the Street Apearance package or Administrative ones. Also what does a school need a 390 hp car for. The 6cyl is just fine for that kind of enviroment.
NYPD had K cars. It was comical watching some of the more large officers climb in and out. They used to use the light bar to swing in.

trace1

Way back in the early 80's when I was stationed at Ellsworth AFB in Rapid City SD, the RCPD had some Volvos.

I also remember back from the mid to late 70's that the city of Guntersville AL had some Buick Electra 225's!!! If I remember correctly, there was a rich old widow that would buy several new Police cars for the city every once in awhile (but don't quote me on that).

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
The law enforcement models do cost more money, but they can cost less than adding things from the aftermarket.

States usually put a bid in for a large number of cars, and get great discounts doing this. Some states, let municipalitys and countys buy "Crusiers" off of them ( state bid ) , saving money.

FF - Medic !!!

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
When New Jersey was broke(again) back in the early 70's, the state paid by the mile for Officers to use their own cars. Pretty interesting to be pulled over by a Corvette.LOL

What jurisidiction? Officers make enough money to drive a Corvette, but the agency does not have enough money to issue cruisers?

FF - Medic !!!

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
It was the State Police, and yes the State was broke, not the officer. It actually had some good things come out of it, you never could tell what car was an undercover car. They also made a ton of money on speeding tickets because of it. Didn't last long, maybe 6 months, this was in 1971-72.

WV8VFD

Just to add about it just being a university, I am a security guard at the local college here, we have a combonation police/security department. We currently just have one vehicle, and we use a GMC Canyon. It works perfect for what we need it for. Our main campus isnt very large, one main building, three outlying buildings, with three more on the way. We also have a satelite campus in the next county south, about 40 miles away, and it gets us back and forth from there when we need to go there. With the size and the speed limit of our campus (15MPH) there's no reason to be running CVPI's Chargers, or 9C1 Impalas. Plus it allows us more room for cones, and other equipment like that.

As for the police departments around here, the county has the usual chargers, and CVPIs but they run a Dodge Nitro for the process deputy. City PD has a Dodge Intrepid, and a few 03 Tarus's (or would that be Tarui? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.