• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Standard Horizon HX851 marine band handheld - alignment instructions using front keypad

g8tzl2004

I understand that the HX851 marine band handheld can be aligned (not programmed) using the front keypad. I want to lower the squelch threshold which is too high even at the lowest user adjustable squelch level so weak signals are missed.

I already have a copy of the HX850S front keypad alignment instructions. The HX850s is a similar radio but the front keys on the HX850 are slightly different than the HX851 so I don't want to make a mistake.

I wonder if anybody has a copy of the HX851 front keypad alignment instructions?

Thanks

g8tzl2004

Apparently the HX851 can only be aligned using alignment software. The HX850S can still be aligned using the front keypad.

N5XPM

The squelch threshhold setting should not require alignment. What does the owner‘s manual say about setting the squelch?

g8tzl2004

The lowest user adjustable squelch level (ie level 1) is still too high to RX weak signals. A signal of around 0.36uV (-116dBm) is required to open the squelch at level 1. A typical ham HT requires around 0.1uV to open the squelch.

Standard Horizon marine radios appear to require a relatively strong signal to open the squelch even at the minimum user adjustable level. I guess this is done deliberately so that a handheld can reliably TX/RX with a high power base station...but the downside is that weak signals are missed when you just want to monitor the marine band.

The HX851 requires a separate alignment program to lower the squelch threshold level. It is not part of the CE-100 Programming software. The alignment program is called "PC Alignment for HX850S version 1.00." It works with both the HX850S and HX851 but the HX850S can also be aligned using the front keypad. I have been looking for a copy of the "PC Alignment for HX850S" software but not yet found a copy.

merlin

I don't know if my post on groups would be accepted, but a lot of radio specific tuner software does seem to work with other radios. It isn't like programming software that can be very radio specific.
The newest I have is the 590 stuff, so a bit obsolete.
Try it, it will work, or it won't
I am having similar issues with a Barrett HF rig, but tuner sofware may not exist.
That leaves using Putty to adjust softpots, but even that takes documents on how to.

merlin

The squelch threshhold setting should not require alignment. What does the owner‘s manual say about setting the squelch?
Generally you are correct, but in my case it is opposite where noise unmutes the radio.
The threshold is just a tad too loose. A menu option to adjust it is no help.

merlin

If you don't mind the no signal noise, you could just turn the muting off.
At least FM has a lower noise floor unlike HF that can be a headache hearing weak signals.