STARCOM 21 Identified as PII P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesa53

I have a RS Pro-18 whose latest RR library prohibits me from importing any of this system despite over 90% of it being PI P25 which my scanner can receive. It isn't the iScan software, it is how this system is being identified in the RR database. V69 of the library allows an import, the 600+version does not. Is there an easy way this could be reidentified in the RRDB as a PI P25 system until the complete changeover to PII occurs?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Actually, it is a software issue, not an RR issue.

The system is accurately and correctly listed as P25 Phase II, and although there aren't many of them, there are some confirmed TDMA talkgroups. If the system were to be 'downgraded' to P25 Phase I in the database to accommodate software that is incorrectly interpreting the data, then it would no longer be possible to accurately indicate which talkgroups are TDMA.

The RRDB does not cater to specific scanners or software. It's up to the software coders and hardware manufacturers to correctly implement the RRDB specs.

Obviously none of this is what you want to hear, however "it is what it is" as they say.

jamesa53

Actually, it is a software issue, not an RR issue.

The RRDB does not cater to specific scanners or software. It's up to the software coders and hardware manufacturers to correctly implement the RRDB specs.

If what you say is true, then why is V69 of the library able to be imported and V600+ isn't? The same version of iScan will import V69 but not V600+. So it isn't the software coders and hardware manufacturers it's how the DB flags this system.

Why can't the parts of it that are PII be identified as such instead of the entire system? I haven't done a count but it's less than 100 talkgroups on the whole system that are T coded.

Really not trying to irritate, just want to know why and if it can be changed. Maybe a DB admin can chime in here, you guys do a great job and I'm not trying to make it harder. Thanks.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The prior post WAS from a DB Admin and he is correct. Since the SC21 system IS a Phase II system it is properly set as such in the database. If the software from the PRO18 cannot accommodate that fact then it needs to be updated.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I probably should have mentioned that the Phase II status is set on the system as a whole, and not to specific parts or sites. Any talkgroup or site could be operated in Phase II mode as long as the infrastructure and radios support it unless it is specifically programmed not to.

Unfortunately for you the desired changes are not possible. As to why the PRO18 software does not work properly I cannot say. I wonder if that radio is upgradable by Whistler with their legacy radio upgrade program, if so that might be a good thing to look into.

jamesa53

Yes the Pro-18 is eligible for the Whistler legacy upgrade to PII and DMR. Ill keep using V69 library if I need to import other talk groups or sites as long as the talk groups aren't coded T. Thanks for your answer and your patience.

tommypickles

To Add to Rich's comment, Some areas are dynamically allocated like site 113. If all radios that are using a specific talk group are phase 2 capable the talk group will be in phase 2. If there is a radio that is not phase 2 capable then the same talk group will be in phase 1.
Grundy County law talk groups use this a lot as most of them got new phase 2 capable radios. As far as I know most state users such as ISP and IDOT still have older radios that are only phase 1 capable. I believe that DuPage site 101 is the same way but not positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.