StarCom21 2021 Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltginrage

TG 36595 has been going over Rockford site for many many months now Its a RPD/WCSO based on RIDs. If I had to guess its like a countywide

YoShep69

Premium Subscriber
*edit*
City of Bloomington utilities

TG5838
RID 464007, 464030
Talking about a sump pump.

Greg
Cen IL

Last edited:

Elpato

Premium Subscriber
Found an article today saying Barrington PD will be joining NWCD

Elpato

Premium Subscriber
Barrington 'excited' about planned switch of 911 provider (dailyherald.com)

Barrington plans to join Northwest Central Dispatch System, which provides 911 services to its neighboring communities, in a move that will be beneficial to the village, officials said.

The agreement with Northwest Central Dispatch System was approved by the village board Monday.

The move also will entail state approval for Barrington to join a different 911 board, the NWCD Emergency Telephone Systems Board.

"We've already begun the process," Police Chief Dave Dorn said. "I don't anticipate any issues."

The village's yearly contract with its current emergency dispatch system, CenCom, is $340,000. The contract with Northwest Central Dispatch is $330,000, village spokeswoman Patty Dowd Schmitz said.

"We will also see a significant cost savings down the line as well in services and contracts such as radio infrastructure, emergency communications and so on. The move also improves our emergency response capabilities by utilizing our neighboring towns more quickly," Dowd Schmitz said.

Barrington has used CenCom for more than 20 years, Dorn said. About a year ago, the police and fire departments began looking into switching to a new provider, and after vetting three of them, the selection landed on Northwest Central Dispatch, he said.

"We are excited about it. For us and for our citizens, it's a huge deal, because we will be sharing a radio frequency with our neighbors," he said, pointing to Palatine and Inverness.

The switch is expected to take place by June 1 after extensive testing and going live behind the scenes, Dorn said.

Northwest Central Dispatch's member departments are: police and fire in Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove, Elk Grove, Hoffman Estates, Palatine, Mount Prospect, Rolling Meadows, Schaumburg and Streamwood; and police in Inverness and Prospect Heights. Contract departments are Barrington Countryside Fire Protection District and Palatine Rural Fire Protection District.

Having so many agencies share the dispatch system means faster, more efficient communication, said Northwest Central Dispatch System Executive Director John Ferraro. "We are really excited for them (Barrington) to come aboard," he said. "Chief Dorn and (Fire) Chief (John) Christian have been a pleasure to deal with."

The partnership will bring a lot of operational benefits, Ferraro said.

For example, if the Barrington Fire Department responds to a fire, there can be quick communication with its neighboring Barrington Countryside Fire Protection District, he said. Or if Palatine reports a missing person headed north, dispatch can immediately alert Barrington, instead of calling another dispatch center to do that, he said.

Aside from Barrington, CenCom includes Antioch police and fire, the Greater Round Lake Fire Protection District and police in Round Lake, Round Lake Beach, Round Lake Heights and Round Lake Park.

Northwest Central Dispatch has a yearly total budget of about $17 million, and its funding includes the $1.50 surcharge for 911 services found on cellphone and landline bills.

"We're kind of a model for shared government services," Ferraro said. "We create a budget, and that budget has to be paid for by our members, so splitting that among 12 members instead of 11 members helps everybody."

Barrington also will be looking into joining the Northwest Central Joint Emergency Management System in 2022, pending budget approval, Dorn said.

The Joint Emergency Management System provides shared services for its participating communities, responding to things like natural disasters, terror attacks and the COVID-19 pandemic.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Anyway, staying on the topic of SC21, I noticed that a couple of talkgroups on the Cook Co node are now Phase II when they previously weren't. While I don't have a complete list, on site 5-002 (using Unitrunker), I noticed that WC3 Police Dispatch (TG 25133) and SouthCom (TG 25009) were Phase II as of last week. Not sure when it started, but thought it's worth noting.
Thanks for the info, the database has been updated.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Bureau County SC21 update - Ladd Fire Protection District 1504 (using Moto demo RID 239) was heard on ITTF R2B calling a Bureau County EMA unit.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
For some reason this was disabled shortly after it was implemented. It sure would have been helpful last night with CPD's PH-1 in the air.
I heard that chase and was thinking the same thing. During a car chase is not the time for an officer to have to change radios to hear the helo providing air support. ISP Chicago should have the ability to patch their VHF receive to Chicago Priority.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I heard that chase and was thinking the same thing. During a car chase is not the time for an officer to have to change radios to hear the helo providing air support. ISP Chicago should have the ability to patch their VHF receive to Chicago Priority.

They used the patch briefly, and didn't understand why they disabled it. Hinsdale had to handle the Chicago mess..LOL!

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know why the patch isn't activated 24/7? Seems like it should be a no-brainer, but if someone could enlighten me (and everyone else) that'd be great.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
For some reason this was disabled shortly after it was implemented. It sure would have been helpful last night with CPD's PH-1 in the air.
They used the patch briefly, and didn't understand why they disabled it. Hinsdale had to handle the Chicago mess..LOL!
Does anyone know why the patch isn't activated 24/7? Seems like it should be a no-brainer, but if someone could enlighten me (and everyone else) that'd be great.

The ISP lead car that was following never knew PH-1 returned to Midway for fuel and was talking to them (or at least thought he was) thinking they were overhead. Fortunately, it all turned out well but it could have been worse.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
District 15 Oak Brook just announced they're evacuating due to a fire alarm (which was quite evident in the background). All traffic to other agencies.

***Everything back to normal****

Last edited:

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Is anyone familiar with SC21 Site 106 (Albany, Whiteside County)? I was traveling through that area few weeks ago and had the freqs listed in the RR database for this site programmed in my SDS100. My notes show that the scanner displayed a Site ID of 1-14 with an NAC of 4C0. Didn't happen to note which freq the control channel was on at the time or the system ID. I don't believe I heard any traffic on that site, and there is already an SC21 site 114 currently listed in the database at Providence in Bureau County.

The database lists five 700 MHz and one 800 MHz freq for this site. Is it even possible to have both 700 and 800 MHz freqs in use at the same site?

Possible that the scanner was seeing a site from another system?

YoShep69

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone familiar with SC21 Site 106 (Albany, Whiteside County)? I was traveling through that area few weeks ago and had the freqs listed in the RR database for this site programmed in my SDS100. My notes show that the scanner displayed a Site ID of 1-14 with an NAC of 4C0. Didn't happen to note which freq the control channel was on at the time or the system ID. I don't believe I heard any traffic on that site, and there is already an SC21 site 114 currently listed in the database at Providence in Bureau County.

The database lists five 700 MHz and one 800 MHz freq for this site. Is it even possible to have both 700 and 800 MHz freqs in use at the same site?

Possible that the scanner was seeing a site from another system?

114 with 4C0 is the ISICS, Iowa system. Scott county site.

Greg

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
114 with 4C0 is the ISICS, Iowa system. Scott county site.

Greg
Thanks for the catch, Shep! An updated list of freqs for site SC21 Site 106 (all of them different than those that were listed for the site at the time) was submitted to Radio Reference in July 2019. Before that, at least one of the freqs listed for this site was actually in use for ISICS Site 114 across the river. The Radio Reference database and the Uniden master database were updated, but my SDS100's SC21 Favorites List wasn't.

Looks like I might need to check my SDS100's FL programming against what's currently in the RR database for all SC21 sites....ugh!

calebotten15

Not sure if it is a patch. But the Stark County Sheriff Office is dispatching deputies on Peoria County Incident 9 Talkgroup 6512.

Status
Not open for further replies.