StarCom21 2023 Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

llzel

Premium Subscriber
Here's what I've been able to gather so far:
29000 - Columbia FPD/EMS paging
29003 - page-out on 4/15 for Maeystown Rural FD and Valmeyer FPD re: exercise in Columbia
29009 - Red Bud FD paging
29011 - Valmeyer FPD paging
29013 - Waterloo FD paging
RR database shows Waterloo FD paging 29012 should the administrator revise it?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber

Cadet Class 140 graduated. Hearing new radio signatures this morning.
Was able to listen and document radio ID's during Troop 3 "radio school" late this morning. 17 of 18 documented and uploaded to the scanners. By my calculations, Troop 3 has been the recipient of 56 cadets in the past 4 months: 3-400 through 3-458 have been heard, and a couple of the numbers haven't been utilized yet, so might be more to come.

Troop 6 and Troop 8 were affiliating with the simulcast sites up here during that sand storm on I-55. Can't say I've ever heard that many vehicles in a crash, on fire, landing zones set up...hats off to all involved.

Did catch 8-115 (3007491) going 10-41 for his first shift. A first day on the job he'll never forget.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Anyone else catch the conversation on T3-Middle between one of the Sergeants and the Chicago dispatcher shortly before 1800 Hrs.? 3-27 was asking about a channel to use for the "night detail" and it was suggested by the dispatcher to use 2-B or 5-B. 3-27 explained that wouldn't work because "they started reprogramming radios today and all it shows is 3 then where they're at". I'm assuming similar to what's shown in the database under Troop 3 will be accurate, or close to accurate. They settled on using the "old" District-Chicago B (TGID 9006), but didn't hear how it's displayed in the new programming yet. Based on the upcoming Cinco D Mayo weekend, warm weather, will probably catch something soon.

Was able to listen and document radio ID's during Troop 3 "radio school" late this morning. 17 of 18 documented and uploaded to the scanners. By my calculations, Troop 3 has been the recipient of 56 cadets in the past 4 months: 3-400 through 3-458 have been heard, and a couple of the numbers haven't been utilized yet, so might be more to come.
Documented all the RID's from 3-400 through 3-458 in the last couple days too. Heard the few I was missing.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Anyone else catch the conversation on T3-Middle between one of the Sergeants and the Chicago dispatcher shortly before 1800 Hrs.? 3-27 was asking about a channel to use for the "night detail" and it was suggested by the dispatcher to use 2-B or 5-B. 3-27 explained that wouldn't work because "they started reprogramming radios today and all it shows is 3 then where they're at". I'm assuming similar to what's shown in the database under Troop 3 will be accurate, or close to accurate. They settled on using the "old" District-Chicago B (TGID 9006), but didn't hear how it's displayed in the new programming yet. Based on the upcoming Cinco D Mayo weekend, warm weather, will probably catch something soon.

Documented all the RID's from 3-400 through 3-458 in the last couple days too. Heard the few I was missing.

Heard reference to "switching to B" on an accident assist within the Troop 3 Middle Sector from 3-147. She's now on "B" (TGID 9007).

"Old 5-B" has been in use on a traffic mission on Interstate 80. Haven't heard a new channel designation for that one yet, but the "old DC-B/2-B/5-B", could be the "new 3-Detail A/3-Detail B/3-Detail C" since I haven't heard any activity on the "old District-Chicago" Detail channels in awhile :unsure:.

I've seen many in Troop 3 with the new plates, and this could fall in line with the radio reprogramming reference I heard a couple days ago.

***3-147 just cleared the assist "and I'll be switching back to D" (TGID 9008)

Last edited:

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Heard reference to "switching to B" on an accident assist within the Troop 3 Middle Sector from 3-147. She's now on "B" (TGID 9007).

"Old 5-B" has been in use on a traffic mission on Interstate 80. Haven't heard a new channel designation for that one yet, but the "old DC-B/2-B/5-B", could be the "new 3-Detail A/3-Detail B/3-Detail C" since I haven't heard any activity on the "old District-Chicago" Detail channels in awhile :unsure:.

I've seen many in Troop 3 with the new plates, and this could fall in line with the radio reprogramming reference I heard a couple days ago.

***3-147 just cleared the assist "and I'll be switching back to D" (TGID 9008)
Due to recent activity on each, I moved talkgroups 9006 (former D Chicago Dispatch B) and 9014 (former D5 Dispatch B) from their former respective district subcategories in the Radio Reference database to the Troop 3 subcategory.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Anyone else catch the conversation on T3-Middle between one of the Sergeants and the Chicago dispatcher shortly before 1800 Hrs.? 3-27 was asking about a channel to use for the "night detail" and it was suggested by the dispatcher to use 2-B or 5-B. 3-27 explained that wouldn't work because "they started reprogramming radios today and all it shows is 3 then where they're at". I'm assuming similar to what's shown in the database under Troop 3 will be accurate, or close to accurate. They settled on using the "old" District-Chicago B (TGID 9006), but didn't hear how it's displayed in the new programming yet.
Detail on the "old" DC-B talkgroup again today started around 0800 Hrs. without much notification on the radio (all units switch to xxx as an example). The Chicago operator was also patched to what is labeled as Tac-2 for a short time, but no mobile units heard on Tac-2 (didn't last too long). This is the similar issue from before that not all units had a specific talkgroup on the newly programmed radios and settled to the "old" DC-B because it's common on old and newly programmed radios, but under a different name.

Sergeant mentioned it showed "3" then where they were at.

p25man123

Premium Subscriber
Has there been any idea of why Northwest Central has been using their analog conventional Back-Up Dispatch (154.205)? They did a tone at Streamwood's Structure Fire a couple days ago rather than using Fire-3 (TGID 2753) where it usually gets toned out. Are they doing this for any mutual aid that aren't apart of NWCD?

Mex

Has there been any idea of why Northwest Central has been using their analog conventional Back-Up Dispatch (154.205)? They did a tone at Streamwood's Structure Fire a couple days ago rather than using Fire-3 (TGID 2753) where it usually gets toned out. Are they doing this for any mutual aid that aren't apart of NWCD?
My guess would be they retained VHF paging for pagers. A few other big dispatch centers do that.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
Was it simulcast to/from SC or do you know? I believe pages on VHF still go out over SC. The two VHF frequencies for years I thought were abandoned so it's nice to see them getting some use lately, and I believe they're mostly used in mutual aid situations for the towns on the edges of NWCDS (and backup). I've heard Streamwood and Palatine Rural pages on VHF fairly regularly if they involve outside agencies (less so for PR since Barrington-Countryside joined NWCDS), but don't ever recall hearing Hoffman Estates. One of the goals the executive committee has put forth for this year is to establish a backup radio system, and I believe the influx of VHF traffic this year may be part of that.
My guess would be they retained VHF paging for pagers. A few other big dispatch centers do that.
I think they can page on VHF but SC has been primary for ~10 years now. Prior to that it was still done on the 3 individual 800 trunked systems with VHF as a seldom used backup. What sirens remain on radio were always on VHF though and you'll hear the DTMF tones during storms and on the 1st Tuesday of the month. I was told which towns these were once but I don't recall now; might be Palatine.

p25man123

Premium Subscriber
Was it simulcast to/from SC or do you know? I believe pages on VHF still go out over SC. The two VHF frequencies for years I thought were abandoned so it's nice to see them getting some use lately, and I believe they're mostly used in mutual aid situations for the towns on the edges of NWCDS (and backup). I've heard Streamwood and Palatine Rural pages on VHF fairly regularly if they involve outside agencies (less so for PR since Barrington-Countryside joined NWCDS), but don't ever recall hearing Hoffman Estates. One of the goals the executive committee has put forth for this year is to establish a backup radio system, and I believe the influx of VHF traffic this year may be part of that.
It wasn't through simulcast as far I've checked within my audio archives.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Troop 3 has been expeditiously (had to use the big word...LOL!) bringing in cars to various posts (Chicago/Joliet) for radio reprogramming. As I mentioned before, it appears 2-B and 5-B are no longer on the display but don't know if it's showing a different text tag with the same talkgroups. The "old" DC-B (TGID 9006) appears to be the "new" Detail Channel as it's been used exclusively for traffic enforcement details. Tac-2 (TGID 9010) is being used by the SAVE unit so far. It's apparent the reprogramming involves consolidation of channels/talkgroups.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I hear nothing on 2-B but last week there were many traffic stops on 5-B , 9003-9014 ,...

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I hear nothing on 2-B but last week there were many traffic stops on 5-B , 9003-9014 ,...
I think 5-B might have a new channel designation if it's still in the reprogrammed template. The "old" DC-B (9006) was used on an enforcement detail in the Southwest Patrol sector recently. 3-Detail is how I currently have it programmed since it's been used most frequently for these missions.

Last edited:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
(Troop 3) Tac-2 patched to 3-Detail (old DC-B/9006). Tac-3 being patched to 3-South Patrol. I have a noted a few Troop 3 units that went to "District-5" for reprogramming and will monitor to see if the "old" D5-B and Car-to-Car will remain in use under a different text tag or will remain in use.

Protective Services at the Thompson Center is still utilizing TGID 9029. "Old" District-2 channels/talkgroups haven't been heard much since the reprograming other than the 3-North Patrol talkgroup.

Based on my listening only (no verified source yet), it would appear they're eliminating the "old" District-Chicago Tac and Detail channels/talkgroups, but have patched to the new channels/talkgroups in the event some of the cars haven't been programmed yet which is similar to Tac-3 being used to 3-South Patrol for awhile now.

They still have some units that have to be reprogrammed. At times they'll say "radio reprogramming at Desplaines/Joliet", others they'll call it a "vehicle maintenance at Desplaines. Joliet". Since they normally don't perform vehicle maintenance at these locations, I suspect it's a disposition code the operator can put into the CAD.

I'll continue to monitor for additional verification.

** I was looking for my older post where the Illinois Fire Marshal checked in on the "old" DC-B and was told, "we no longer monitor this channel". Things are changing as we now know** (Had to get in under the wire to Edit) :LOL: :cool:

Last edited:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Is DC-B still TG 9006 just heard some cars told to go to "B" ,...TY
Yes...the radios that haven't been reprogrammed are using the old radio channel tags. I have a list of at least 5 that were in for reprogramming and haven't heard them on there yet. So far..2-B, 2-C, 5-B, Tac-1, Detail A, Detail B haven't been used for traffic details in the past week or so. Tac-2 is being patched to the new Detail Channel, Tac-3 is being patched to the 3-South Patrol, and Detail C is protective services. Heard IDOT 1995 call on "5 car to car" a few times and didn't get an answer, on another occasion they did.

This just reminded me to check my morning recordings. I wasn't in the house and heart 3-4 say either "we'll be using B-Detail", or "B for the detail". 3-27 mentioned the newly programmed radios are showing "3, then where they're at"..FYI.

Last edited:

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
About1:30 today I heard " B for the detail" that's why I questioned you , I'm paying much closer attention, the other day I heard 1995 on 9068 c-c also and took two tries to get a answer,... The ramp to i80 Chicago St here in Joliet where 1995 hangs out is closed causing problems....The whole i80 is a mess thru Joliet and west cause of road work.

Status
Not open for further replies.