Starcom21 & Antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
What antenna is everyone using or works best for Starcom21? I have a St-2 up 20 ft in the clear and I'm 5 miles from the fowler tower which I only get 2 bars and 10 miles from Mendon tower which I get 3 bars which are both Dist 20. Warsaw tower which is 30 miles in Dist 14 cuts in and out and maybe get 1 bar once in awhile?

Any ideas how i can improve the reception?

N9JIG

Sheriff
With 700 and 800 MHz. there are several ways to improve reception. These bands work a bit differently than others though.

Most of the time more elevation works best, but 700 and 800 is more sensitive to coax loss. For these reasons I suggest that you try swapping out the coax first, then raise the antenna if you still need more oomph.

I suggest that you use RG-6, preferably the quad-shield type intended for satellite TV use. The higher quality RG-6 sold at Radio Shack, Lowes etc. should work just fine. Your antenna might already have an F-Connector on it, if not then use a single adaptor to match. (Don't use multiple adaptors, it introduces too much loss.) Use a single adaptor at the radio end, you might have to order F-BNC adaptors if you can't find them locally.

You also might want to try an amp. I have had great luck with a Wingard TV pre-amp. Don't bother with those cheapo TV amps, get a good one. Also, the Stridsberg 800 MHz. active multicoupler has an amp built-in that works great on 800.

RADIOGUY2002

Base or Mobile

I do not know about base instalations. I however have seen a mobile pattern that seems to work rather well. And I'm really shocked with the results. I'm using a typical vhf quterwave and it seems to out perform the 800 mhz antenna. The antenna is on the roof top of the sedan use for the bcd 996T. Just as a reference mark.

scannerbum

Type?

RADIOGUY2002 said:
I do not know about base instalations. I however have seen a mobile pattern that seems to work rather well. And I'm really shocked with the results. I'm using a typical vhf quterwave and it seems to out perform the 800 mhz antenna. The antenna is on the roof top of the sedan use for the bcd 996T. Just as a reference mark.

Is this mobile drill mount and is it cut to frequency?

timmer

Check into a beam antenna. I think dpd productions makes one. That combined with a rotor so you can point it whatever direction necessary is your best bet. (of course it will not be cheap). A grove scanner beam will work too. It's a cheaper way to go. Also, RG-11 coax is better than rg-6 and has less loss at 700 and 800 mhz. Just my 2 cents.

RADIOGUY2002

Only the best when practical

Is this mobile, drill mounted-YES and is it cut to frequency, its for 150-174 the typical vhf quterwave for $3.70 that you get from antenex.

Status
Not open for further replies.