Starcomm in Sioux City

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjcleve04

Premium Subscriber
Can someone please help me? I know we are encrypted but I have been told that we can still get Sioux City fire and EMS. I have a home patrol 2 and I did the latest software update but I am not getting anything?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
New Statewide P25

I was last in Sioux City in May of this year and monitored the trunking system in Woodbury and surrounding counties/states; however, I am no longer seeing this system posted.

I don't know if there is ID search on your radio since I've never owned one, but here is the emerging system. I see system frequencies in Woodbury county, but nobody has identified any talk groups for Woodbury County yet.

I once emailed the police chief and learned he had his Doctorate, wow.

You can likely forget listening to anything beyond LE Dispatch talk groups. Previously, they encrypted the good stuff like CID, Detectives, etc. I don't know about F-EMS.

I would start writing down the talk groups you capture. Good luck. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8734

jjcleve04

Premium Subscriber
Can someone please help me out? Idk where else to go? My problem is I am getting NO EMS or fire in Sioux City and it says I can still get it. Please help. Thanks in advance!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Can someone please help me out? Idk where else to go? My problem is I am getting NO EMS or fire in Sioux City and it says I can still get it. Please help. Thanks in advance!
The problem, as was discussed in your original thread in the New User Forum is that, for your specific county, the agencies moved over to ICICS, but whatever talkgroups they are using have not been submitted to the database for inclusion. Until that occurs, you would need to scan the ICICS system in ID Search mode, as mentioned here. I also posted a file you could start with in this response.

Only by monitoring the site in your county, and determining which TGID's are in use, will you be able to hear the agencies you want. Once they are confirmed, then submitted to the database, whether by yourself, or someone else in the area, they will get added and then at the next database cycle after entry, will be in the database download for the scanners that use the main database, including your HP-1. Until that time, you need to monitor the system in ID Search.

jjcleve04

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it. I just can't get anything in Sioux City. Sort of stinks. I will try this over again tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjcleve04

Premium Subscriber
I am still not getting anything to show up. I spent numerous hours on this. Can someone please help me out. Call me or text me go guide me thru this? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
HP2 and other unidens will skip over encrypted tgs, Learn how to use PRO96COM that and the home patrol will give you the data traffic on the system. It will note which ones have encryption on it. It will not decode them. but by using a p25 capable (trunking not needed) scanner to control you can hear the transmissions even if you can not understand them.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Migration

I am still not getting anything to show up. I spent numerous hours on this. Can someone please help me out. Call me or text me go guide me thru this? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

As I previously stated, Sioux City is currently in the process of migrating to the aforementioned radio system. Previously, listeners were indeed able to listen to radio traffic because someone originally monitored, analyzed and submitted the information needed to operate your radio. However, now, listeners must repeat this process for others to follow the system. This can be a complicated process depending on the radio system.

So, in the near future, I fully expect some of these talk groups to be showing up for Sioux City and Woodbury county. Hopefully, this will happen soon provided that someone is indeed analyzing the system.

I would urge you to load the Woodbury set of frequencies and set your radio to ID search. Then, you can monitor the system to determine: agencies involved; type of service (EMS, Fire, Law Enforcement); and what type of channels (Fire tactical, fire talk, etc.).

In other words, you will have to be patient because of the unknowns present. In time, you can download the various channels/talk groups that are identified on this new system.

I don't know if you know other scanner enthusiasts in your area, but I would check with the to determine if anyone has heard the various first responders in your area.

Here in Texas, I have analyzed two systems: Woodway, Texas and Bell County. I used Pro96 software to analyze the Woodway VHF P25 trunking system.

For Temple, I only used ID search. Hence, I was able to identify and document the Temple PD ProVoice dispatch channel and surveillance channels using the ID search. In order to do this, you will be locking out unwanted talk groups like sanitation, code enforcement, etc.

If you decide to take this route, using ID search, you can write down and add these talk groups to the radio, particularly when they are consistent with first responders. At present, these talk groups are unknown. I would follow the Iowa threads in case someone finds a talk group for your listening area.

What I don't understand is why the old system was removed from the RR DB. Most of the time, these systems are left in place. Typically, there will be notes indicating that the system is no longer being used.

Here in McLennan County, Texas, Waco shows two separate trunking systems, the new and old.

When conventional frequencies are no longer used, they will usually put "deprecated" in the RR DB.

Please, read the operating manuals on ID search. We rely on the RR DB for radio programming.

I just looked and found that the HP2 requires an "extreme upgrade" in order to operate ID search. I don't know if you have this added to your radio. See post two in this thread: https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/341397-id-search-hp2.html

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Please, read the operating manuals on ID search. We rely on the RR DB for radio programming.

I just looked and found that the HP2 requires an "extreme upgrade" in order to operate ID search. I don't know if you have this added to your radio. See post two in this thread: https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/341397-id-search-hp2.html
Actually, look at the third, and subsequent, posts on that topic. While the Extreme Upgrade is required to active "ID Search" directly through the scanner's menu (for both the HP-1 and the HP-2), it can also be turned on or off using the Sentinel software. If the Sioux City public safety services are using the trunked system, then they would be heard with the correct site programmed, and by using ID Search. Once identified, submitted and added to the database, then they would appear in the database used by the HP-2, as well as the database here online.

jjcleve04

Premium Subscriber
Awesome now that is a great explanation. I will try and get my scanner going now. Appreciate it.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I see that nobody has listed any talk groups in Sioux City. I am not surprised! Please, be patient with this migration. I know that you are wanting to get going, but the analysis takes a lot of time and effort on the part of those who submit radio system parameters to RR. The person(s) in Polk county have done a fine job!

jjcleve04

Premium Subscriber
I see that nobody has listed any talk groups in Sioux City. I am not surprised! Please, be patient with this migration. I know that you are wanting to get going, but the analysis takes a lot of time and effort on the part of those who submit radio system parameters to RR. The person(s) in Polk county have done a fine job!

Awesome thanks for the feedback

jjcleve04

Premium Subscriber
I used to help the guy run the page. We had a fall out and disagreement on some things. Bad deal. Long story. Anyways, he can somehow still get fire and EMS calls and for some reason I have everything programmed but still can't get anything to come thru.

jjcleve04

Premium Subscriber
And I was speaking of the article you found. Siouxland scanner.

ORION_NE

Premium Subscriber

With Polk county it looks like when westcom merged it's P25 system to the state's P25 system they kept their talk groups the same. Looks like in the database they just changed the name from westcom P25 to the ICSIS.

Question for the OP have you tried listening to Dakota county or South Sioux City in Nebraska?

jjcleve04

Premium Subscriber
I get Dakota county's fire and EMS but I don't get any of Sioux City. Interesting on Polk county wish I lived over there. Lol

ORION_NE

Premium Subscriber
I get Dakota county's fire and EMS but I don't get any of Sioux City. Interesting on Polk county wish I lived over there. Lol

I would assume Sioux city has encrypted everything then. Your scanner will skip encrypted talk groups

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
All, I have been able to monitor the SC Fire/Rescue and Siouxland Paramedics on my RS 2096, but the talk groups are different and the numbering does not follow what I am familiar with. ie:7070-2 or 7070-3. This could be why the current data base does not work.

I have been able to do this with the radio in wild card.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.