Stark County Ohio

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
Just got a shipping notice from Scanner Master on my SDS200 with delivery Friday so I will report on it's performance on Stark Simulcast.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
Just got a shipping notice from Scanner Master on my SDS200 with delivery Friday so I will report on it's performance on Stark Simulcast.

I had both the sds100 and sds200 connected to the same yagi. Both on them sounded great. I use the invert filter that really helps out.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
45172, sounds like some law enforcement operation. Units are on West Tusc in Canton. Mentioned warrant is being signed by judge now. All the routine stuff that gets enceypted and what sounds like a raid is in the clear

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
45172, sounds like some law enforcement operation. Units are on West Tusc in Canton. Mentioned warrant is being signed by judge now. All the routine stuff that gets enceypted and what sounds like a raid is in the clear

Sounds like one of those ones you hope nobody reports. Otherwise they suddenly become ENC

Posie777

WS1065 (1 yr old) and WIN500 Hello folks. Hope this is okay to post here
Freq / talkgroups worked great with type Mot 800/900 and P25 Auto (OSHP) until Stark County went to Marcs IP. Yesterday, I joined Radio Reference and downloaded 20 talkgroups. To get strong signal bars, I had to changed the RSSI Bar Threshold from the original 370, 450, 520, 610, 680 to 190, 230, 260, 290, 320.The few transmissions I do get are short burst of garble or silent . Talkgroups displayed for 1-3 seconds. Squelch is turned to the left almost to zero. Looking at the screenshots from WIN 500, can you tell me if any settings need to be changed / what to change them to?
Thank you . Appreciate suggestions. I am at my wits end with this scanner. Hate to throw it away. I have read several articles / comments trying to find a solution.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_11522 Feb. 05 16.10.jpg
    ScreenHunter_11522 Feb. 05 16.10.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 23
  • ScreenHunter_11523 Feb. 05 16.12.jpg
    ScreenHunter_11523 Feb. 05 16.12.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 27
  • ScreenHunter_11524 Feb. 05 16.14.jpg
    ScreenHunter_11524 Feb. 05 16.14.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 26

Nasby

Freq / talkgroups worked great with type Mot 800/900 and P25 Auto (OSHP) until Stark County went to Marcs IP. Yesterday, I joined Radio Reference and downloaded 20 talkgroups. To get strong signal bars, I had to changed the RSSI Bar Threshold from the original 370, 450, 520, 610, 680 to 190, 230, 260, 290, 320.The few transmissions I do get are short burst of garble or silent . Talkgroups displayed for 1-3 seconds. Squelch is turned to the left almost to zero. Looking at the screenshots from WIN 500, can you tell me if any settings need to be changed / what to change them to?
Thank you . Appreciate suggestions. I am at my wits end with this scanner. Hate to throw it away. I have read several articles / comments trying to find a solution.

Your set up looks correct. Don't worry about the RSSI settings. They are for display looks only and don't have an effect on reception.

My guess is that you are in a bad location and not receiving well because of the dreaded Simulcast Distortion issues (Stark Co. uses a simulcast system).

There are lots of threads here on RR that describe simulcast distortion and that offer remedies which may or may not work.

The only sure fire way to deal with simulcast issues is to upgrade to a Uniden SDS100/SDS200.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider

With my Pro197 and PSR600 which are essentially the same scanner as your WS1065, I get great reception of the Stark Simulcast. In my experience, you want as little antenna as possible. I use the factory back-of-set antenna completely collapsed and folded down. I believe that this helps the scanner receive only one tower, the nearest. I get 4 signal bars this way. I program mine with ARC500.

gobeit

First use of a MAC, 45188 Fire #5 by Massillon on a gas leak with evacuation.[/QUOT
Looks like, as of this afternoon, most if not all of RED Center has moved over. Still hearing Plain Twp Fire (Sheriff's Office Dispatch) and Alliance Fire on old system. The talkgroups on the new simulcast beginning with Canton Police seem to be lining up alphabetically and not skipping any numbers.

So I have a Homepatrol 2; I did the new download of the Uniden Sentinel software to my scanner on Monday and I still can't seem to locate Massillon Police and Massillon Fire; any idea where I can find them. They use to be under Canton/Stark County tab.

xusmarine1979

So I have a Homepatrol 2; I did the new download of the Uniden Sentinel software to my scanner on Monday and I still can't seem to locate Massillon Police and Massillon Fire; any idea where I can find them. They use to be under Canton/Stark County tab.

I'm guessing that the database hasn't been updated yet in Sentinel. I have been adding mine manually.

xusmarine1979

As far as I know, none of the agencies dispatched by Cencom have moved to MARCS simulcast. This may be why these agencies have moved to Starcom. It would be a major blow to interoperability in Stark County if they all choose to remain on conventional repeaters. I have been told by a captain at Perry Twp FD that they have purchased MARCS radios and are just waiting on programming.

That's what I was thinking a few weeks ago that everyone else has seemed to jumped to MARCS. Plus it would be nice to monitor everyone on a single system.

xusmarine1979

Early on in the discovery of 45102 they did use it without encryption. And it is still occasionally used, with Dispatch in the clear and the subscriber radios ENC. But they definitely switched the majority of their traffic to 45105. My guess is that 45105 is probably strapped for encryption, forcing everyone who joins it (and has the appropriate key) to automatically be ENC. I'll leave speculation as to why they would do that up to somebody else. I just care about the technicals, not the things said.

Living in Louisville, I was pretty excited about them possibly being in the clear, but most likely they won't be. I've been so busy but still haven't heard anything since the schools were testing on one of the channels in the beginning.

Posie777

Regards to #266 .. WS1065 .. Thank you Nasby, Volfirefighter, Swipesy. I tried your suggestions.
I called Whistler 2/6. Spoke to Brian in Arkansas. Said he got a call from another person in Stark County today. He will be emailing that person and me with info / Win500 download that may be a solution (if I understood that right) That was suppose to be this afternoon. When / If I get the info and if it works, I will share with you.

KWs

Premium Subscriber
Nice to see a photo with all that “other stuff”turned off on the screen !
And looks to me your keypad back light works !

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I suspect 45145 / 45150 are Perry Twp Police Dispatch / 2 -- all encrypted. Radio IDs are IDs very unique on the system to no others agency.

Quite a bit of activity today.

RIDS: 7610166 - 7610209 with dispatch on 7600023 and 7600025

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
I suspect 45145 / 45150 are Perry Twp Police Dispatch / 2 -- all encrypted. Radio IDs are IDs very unique on the system to no others agency.

Quite a bit of activity today.

RIDS: 7610166 - 7610209 with dispatch on 7600023 and 7600025

Why the gap of 5 TG's? Everyone else on this system has their TG's one right after the other.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
45210 Osnaburg Local Schools Emergency Radio, tested this morning. I see we had 45018 previously identified as a countywide school emergency. So, do all schools have their own as well? Cancom answered the test from Osnaburg High School Principal probably due to the fact that they dispatch East Canton Police.