Starnet and P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I know I've asked this question in the past, but at the expense of sounding like a broken record, does anyone know the current status of Starnet moving to a digital system. I've read the threads from loumaag (thanks for the info) about testing at certain sites in west and northwest Houston, but does anyone have any information on the long term plan, if there is one, to transition to a digital system.

I keep hearing the news about how poor the emergency radio systems (mostly HPD & HFD) are in the Houston area. I know those two agencies are still on the non-trunked analog system, but I think Strarnet has some similar issues.

Months, years, decades, centuries, never?

SCPD

QRT
The only thing that I can add is STARNet users that acquire new radios are required to purchase models that support P25. That requirement has been in place for years. I don't know how many existing STARnet radios won't work on a P25 system. There are probably a few Astro radios that would have to be flashed for P25 trunking. Of course, the analog only radios would have to be replaced.

As long as they retain their current system - they can mix & match P25 voice and analog. I don't see a significant advantage for them to cut over to full P25 trunking so the current mixed-mode system may remain for years to come.

(and then there's HPD which doesn't even use trunking)

-rick

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
I have it on good word that the Precinct 1 guys downtown are still using STX handhelds, which are the very first handhelds that Harris County used when the trunk first went online back in the late 80s. And last time I checked, some, if not all of the Pasadena fire apparatus are using MCS2000 mobiles, which are also analog-only. Then I see SO deputies on the northside toting MTS2000 handhelds, yet the Aldine school cops have brand spanking new XTS5000s. It's a complete hodgepodge.

I figured Pasadena PD would be the first to go digital since they've historically been unfriendly towards the scanner community, and even still there are rumors floating around that their detectives and narc squads are about to make the switch.. but it's all hearsay.

As far as HPD goes, they'd have a kickass system if they'd upgrade their end-user fleet. The Sabers and Spectras are some awesome radios, but man, they're going on 20 years old and aren't supported by Motorola anymore. I'm not even going to get into HFD and their God-awful simulcast system and its God-awful audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.