Starr program for Radio Shack Pro 96 & 2096

FrankM

Premium Subscriber
The STARR program .....I have been using this program for years and have liked it very much. However, I got a new PC and they did not bring the program over and lost it. I have tried to use my sign on info but cannot get into the program. I have sent an email to Starr, but have not heard anything back in some time. All my four R S scanners have this program, in them. Has anyone else had a problem with Starr ? And what other program would you recommend for my R S Pro 96 / 2096 if I have to do everything over again. Thank you in advance.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The STARR program .....I have been using this program for years and have liked it very much. However, I got a new PC and they did not bring the program over and lost it. I have tried to use my sign on info but cannot get into the program. I have sent an email to Starr, but have not heard anything back in some time. All my four R S scanners have this program, in them. Has anyone else had a problem with Starr ? And what other program would you recommend for my R S Pro 96 / 2096 if I have to do everything over again. Thank you in advance.
Not sure where you have been for the last 4 years but this has been like this for a long time good luck.

wx2watch

I had similar circumstances as you – new computer but no license. I had been a happy user of Don’s software for many years.

Long story short, rather than waste time chasing around trying to get a replacement from Don (and really for the price I can’t fault him if he wasn’t tracking purchases from 10+ years ago), I went back to his site and purchased a new license. That was back in December of 2020.

I can’t say if he still processes orders – just letting you know my experiences.

P.S. The biggest pain, for me, was finding a suitable serial/USB cable. Mine had long since vanished…

I have been considering purchasing Arc96 but so far I’m OK with the Starr software. Best of luck to you in finding a solution!

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone even heard from Don Starr in the last number of years?

Some say he abandoned the business and others say he has answered his email??

I haven't seen him on radio reference in a long time.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have all of his programs and love them over any other brand. When I bought the licenses I saved/stored my keys in safe places so as to avoid these issues. I have replaced hard drives, updated machines and brought a few new machines into my world since the original purchases, and have always been able to fully install the WINXX software. I did have a problem on one machine properly finding the COM port, but it was a driver issue and Don's suite provided a workaround, so I just used that.

Considering time to pursue, effort to move to new software or cost to just buy another key; I'd pay the small price for a new license.