Starrsoft WIN500 And V Folders ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Have a GRE PSR 500, and am using WIN500 Starrsoft to program it.

Have never played around with these V Folders, but am just getting into it.

Have downloaded 6 Files from Scan New England, and have loaded them, via Starrsoft,
into V Floders 1 thru 6 in the radio.

My main working file, called MAIN I placed in V Folder 00.

Question:

With Starrsoft, is there any way to see what is in these 1 thru 6 V Folders files ?
If not, how, other than scrolling thru them with the radio, one at a time ?
Starrsoft, of course does show MAIN.

I tried some word processors, but they won't open up the files (they have a prefix of .500)

Might as well also ask: I realize that if I load any V Folder into the radio's working memory, it
overwrites what is in the working memory.

But, does what is in the V Folders always remain in them (their V Folder) even if I load them into the radio working memory ?

Thanks,
Bob

n8zcc

I'm not sure I am following your question. V folders are nothing more than a method of storage in the radio. When you select a V folder to use, the radio copies the contents of the V folder into scanner memory where it can be used.

In order to view the contents of a V folder using WIN500, you would need to select the V folder for use and then download the radio's memory using WIN500.

Does this answer your question?

rwier

Hello,

Have a GRE PSR 500, and am using WIN500 Starrsoft to program it.

Have never played around with these V Folders, but am just getting into it.

Have downloaded 6 Files from Scan New England, and have loaded them, via Starrsoft,
into V Floders 1 thru 6 in the radio.

My main working file, called MAIN I placed in V Folder 00.

Question:

With Starrsoft, is there any way to see what is in these 1 thru 6 V Folders files ?
If not, how, other than scrolling thru them with the radio, one at a time ?
Starrsoft, of course does show MAIN.

I tried some word processors, but they won't open up the files (they have a prefix of .500)

Might as well also ask: I realize that if I load any V Folder into the radio's working memory, it
overwrites what is in the working memory.

But, does what is in the V Folders always remain in them (their V Folder) even if I load them into the radio working memory ?

Thanks,
Bob

Let me try just a small part of this question. I'll make an example using the software, I don't know about "in the radio".

The V-Folder is just like a real folder in a real file cabinet. You take it out of the cabinet (open in the software) and make changes. You don't have to "save your work", you just put the folder back into the file cabinet (close the program, or open a different folder). Can't have two folders out of the cabinet at the same time.

Rob

BOBRR

From OP:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for replies and help.
Much appreciated.

All set now.

Was thinking of getting a HP or 800/900, but think will stick with my 500 for now.
Still quite a radio, and not clear to me that these new ones would offer anything
(much) more, although the user interface on the HP looks nice.

Regards, and thanks again,
Bob

rwier

Let me try just a small part of this question. I'll make an example using the software, I don't know about "in the radio".

The V-Folder is just like a real folder in a real file cabinet. You take it out of the cabinet (open in the software) and make changes. You don't have to "save your work", you just put the folder back into the file cabinet (close the program, or open a different folder). Can't have two folders out of the cabinet at the same time.

Rob

Would like to add: When working in a V-Folder I actually do periodically "save my work". This is done by copying the contents of the working V-Folder to a DIFFERENT V-Folder. I name/rename the "copy to" Folder as ***BACKUP.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.