STARS 1 freq. change

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Their repeater is not used to link with anyone else, so I doubt it is for any of those reasons. Their repeater is used solely for conversations between the aircraft and the Link Center, including phone patches to hospitals and other agencies they make contact with (patches which are no doubt originated at the Link Center). Comms to on-scene crews are handled over frequencies such as Provincial Ambulance or RCMP Tac 9.

As has been said, Wolfsburg aviation radios don't do digital or encryption.

I thought the Wulfberg Model P-25 RT-5000 supports P-25 digital including encryption

Last edited:

beeperboy

Thanks for the freq update guys. I'll have to take a listen. I'm guessing they replaced the repeaters too, as they were getting pretty long in the tooth. Hopefully when they were done changing the repeater freqs, they went back and adjusted the Zetron console audio levels properly. Their dispatch audio sounds atrocious, and the phone patch levels are out to lunch too. I have problems understanding the link centre sometimes, and I can only imagine how nasty that sounds in a helicopter headset.

BB

STARS new freqs.

I find the reception of STARS new freqs. terrible ,they were so much clearer than what it is now ,it seems there is more static,the hospitals that they are patching to has a clearer audio reception than the helo. The dispatch center or Link center even has a terrible reception. I live right Calgary and always had a clear signal before they changed frequencies. Did reduce their output power or move the towers? Its not even worth listening to now,as crappy as the RCMP freqs are ,they are clearer than STARS now.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
The repeater was moved to the 45 story Canterra Tower on 3rd Ave S.W. It needs to have wider coverage before the new helicopters with more range arrive.

The change in Edmonton makes them much clearer here.

Harry

I live in the SW area of Calgary,I am not sure which direction the tower repeaters are facing but its definitely providing better coverage if STARS is flying in SW direction.I have been using a external antenna and has always been great reception before the frequencies change and the move,I guess the only solution is to move (which is not going to happen). Any suggestions???

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Now that the repeater has been moved from the NE airport area to a tall building nearer where you live you may be having over load. If your scanner has an attenuator feature try turning it on the STARS frequency. Also try taking it off the external antenna and just use the scanner attenna. I'm not suggesting you do this permanently but to test if your scanner is being overloaded.
Harry

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Jay that might shoot the wind out of my theory. I guess I got the registered Aviation Blvd. address mixed up with the repeater location. Here in Edmonton the move from the airport to downtown made a big difference. I haven't been to Calgary in so long I guess I losing touch with all the changes.
Harry

beeperboy

STARS UHF repeater has been in Canterra Towers for the last 20 years. Maybe they moved it somewhere? I'll look for it the next time I'm there. There was some changes to the multicoupling and UHF antennas there a couple of months ago, maybe that accounts for the change in coverage? They also might have a much lower licensed ERP with the new freq. Dunno for sure.

Now if somebody can talk the company looking after their gear to invest in a $300 audio line meter to set the levels properly, they'll be in business. I even offered to lend them mine. LOL

BB

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Not bad

I actually find the reception about the same signal strength, but the voice quality is better. The dispatch headsets, lately, have been better. Maybe they have adjusted them. And Saturday night, they seemed pleased that a portable could hit the repeater from a field out south of Strathmore.

jets1961

what typer of scanner or radio?

What type of scanner or radio are you using? Maybe your front end is being hit with intermod in your area. It is a new frequency so it's possable.

Joe

I find the reception of STARS new freqs. terrible ,they were so much clearer than what it is now ,it seems there is more static,the hospitals that they are patching to has a clearer audio reception than the helo. The dispatch center or Link center even has a terrible reception. I live right Calgary and always had a clear signal before they changed frequencies. Did reduce their output power or move the towers? Its not even worth listening to now,as crappy as the RCMP freqs are ,they are clearer than STARS now.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider

I played with the scanner this afternoon while STAR1 was preparing for the (cancelled) flight to Kananaskis. It seems that with the 85.4 tone enabled, the audio is horribly garbled, but (at least on my 396XT), receiving it in CSQ cleared it right up. I've changed the freq in my scanner and will see how it behaves over the next few days.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Csq

Missed them this afternoon. Did hear them a few times on Saturday and some of the transmissions were garbled and muffled. Makes one wonder what type of headset/boom mics they are using. So just now on their return from Clairesholm, tried it with the tone and without. Really didn't notice any difference although both sounded very clear. I usually do not use the tone unless I am at work and there is some electrical interference on the new frequency, then I will put the tone on. Postition reports are generally very clear, but now agree [after this weekend] that the sound quality really varies. Incidently, from all the twitters this week-end, it sounded like a long week-end with all the traffic and other collisions.

Trexer

Premium Subscriber
STARS was in Cranbrook today. I noticed that they were using the 422.55/427.55 freqs for communication between the flight crew and the medical crew.
Now when you mention the Calgary Repeater is this an actual fixed repeater or a repeater on board the helicopter?

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
The procupine hills which will cover Crow's nest pass might make it to Cranbrook. I'm wondering if they were operating on simplex mode 422.55 while in Cranbrook yesterday. If you just heard them on 427.55 they were most likely transmitting back to a fixed repeater in Calgary. There is no repeater on board the helicopter that I know of.

Harry

Trexer

Premium Subscriber
Ah I've reviewed my recordings. There were transmissions on both 427.55 and 422.55 but I think I see why now. STARS1 tried the medical crew on 427.55 but realized they were on the wrong channel so switched to 422.55 to conduct simplex communications. So I did hear stuff on 427.55 and 422.55 but that was just because they used the wrong channel at first. So looks like they are using 422.55 for on scene communications as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.