STARS Calgary

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I heard them yesterday in Edmonton on their conventional repeater.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Although STARS medical crew seems to be using AFRRCs radios I still hear them conversing with Link centre on 422.55. As I posted earlier, the quality of the voice is 1 out of 5. I heard them as recently as 0100 this morning.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I'm thinking stars must have gone to the afrrcs system. don't here them

anymore. was picking them up on conventional 442,550

Just heard LINCCentre talk to STAR-3 Aviation regards to a service provider on their analogue UHF repeater.

Sounds like there have been some changes to the repeater system, but sounded like the Aviation unit was analogue, not digital converted to analogue,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Just heard LINCCentre talk to STAR-3 Aviation regards to a service provider on their analogue UHF repeater.

Sounds like there have been some changes to the repeater system, but sounded like the Aviation unit was analogue, not digital converted to analogue,

Yes all the helicopter traffic I've been hearing in the Edmonton area has been on UHF. I even hear the choppers on the input frequency as well. Not to say they don't also have an AFRRCS radio onboard. Perhaps dispatch is on AFRRCS and simulcast on UHF.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Yes all the helicopter traffic I've been hearing in the Edmonton area has been on UHF. I even hear the choppers on the input frequency as well. Not to say they don't also have an AFRRCS radio onboard. Perhaps dispatch is on AFRRCS and simulcast on UHF.

Could be, they used to link to LINC Centre using iDEN, so who knows how it is configured now.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like Link Centre on UHF and Helicopter trying to use AFRRCs most of time. Had problems with AFRRCs and resorted to legacy yesterday. I am not sure that they ever went completely to AFRRCs yet. And Docs are using an APP to communicate as well. On phones so not sure what difference is. However the conversion of AFRRCs to analog is 1 or 2/5.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Was listening to the Calgary Repeater on the fringes to the north of Calgary today. @ 14:50, heard a dispatch, but did not hear STAR crew reply. I dont know if they were already on mission or not, or if they were on the Porcupine Hills repeater.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Wasn`t really listening at that time, but I have heard them on over the weekend. When Link Centre calls the crew while at the base, not sure is crew transmits on 422.55 as occasionally I will not hear the crew respond. Just now, they were called for 2 calls and I did hear the crew on 422.55. Weather conditions are bad so not going on the call. The other day, when the crew was going to Lethbridge, they tried to use the Porcupine repeater but the signal was poor so they reverted to their AFRRCs radios which was patched through 422.55.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I did catch the 09:00 tone test on Porcupine Hills Repeater. The initial pre-alert tone sounded like crap, but the dispatch alert tone sounded fine.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I'm fairly confident that Porcupine and Calgary are linked either permanently or most of the time. When crews fly down that direction, they make mention of being on the Porcupine repeater and can be heard on the Calgary main at the same time.

The few times that I've heard transmissions from, or on, the Porcupine repeater, its quality has been poor. Signal strength is always good but clarity leaves something to be desired.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I'm fairly confident that Porcupine and Calgary are linked either permanently or most of the time. When crews fly down that direction, they make mention of being on the Porcupine repeater and can be heard on the Calgary main at the same time.

The few times that I've heard transmissions from, or on, the Porcupine repeater, its quality has been poor. Signal strength is always good but clarity leaves something to be desired.

The conversation was hard to follow, I was listening with a 1/4 wave mag mount, and was on the secondary highway that ends at highway 21, just south of Threehills. I do know I did not hear STAR 1 or the AMC replying to LINK centre. 100% it was a one sided conversation though.

Status
Not open for further replies.